Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

heads up display erased with polarized sunglasses?

Old 09-27-2015, 06:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heads up display erased with polarized sunglasses?

Hi, I bought an A6 with heads up display and I noticed that the heads up display is basically erased when I wear Oakley polarized Aviators (grey lenses). Has anyone else here had this experience?
Old 09-27-2015, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

yup!

Have the X-Metal Romeo 2.0 Polarized Iridium's - put them on.....adios HUD. When I drive, I use the XX 24's (non-polarized...)...did you also look out the side windows and notice that there are all sorts of "islands" in the window space as well? Like darker - almost bluish spots?

Scott
Old 09-27-2015, 07:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Silver42
yup!

Have the X-Metal Romeo 2.0 Polarized Iridium's - put them on.....adios HUD. When I drive, I use the XX 24's (non-polarized...)...did you also look out the side windows and notice that there are all sorts of "islands" in the window space as well? Like darker - almost bluish spots?

Scott
lol wasn't expecting useless driving glasses
Old 09-28-2015, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver42
yup!

Scott
Those spots are the factory UV light protection built into the glass. You can see them with polarized lenses.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

The manual even makes mention of this!

I've got a pair of Serengeti sunglasses with their 'driver' lenses - these are non-polarized so the HUD and other instruments aren't messed with, but still have great glare reduction.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 178 Likes on 158 Posts

used to happen with the DIS and also the MMI display on the C6. Bought a pair of polarized sunglasses when I had a C6 and had to take them straight back when I found I could not see any of the displays in the car.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes polarized sunglass DOES remove all glare hence you can see the HUD. I had HUDs on my BMW M6 and I had to get non polarized sunglasses
Old 09-28-2015, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyuni
The manual even makes mention of this!

I've got a pair of Serengeti sunglasses with their 'driver' lenses - these are non-polarized so the HUD and other instruments aren't messed with, but still have great glare reduction.
Nice glasses, but at 280-ish a pair that's a pretty expensive pair. I don't mind spending the money if it's absolutely the only price range for that product, and worth it. So now I'm wondering if it's just a brand name I'm paying for or I can get same thing at more competitive price.

Looks like I gotta start sifting through the marketing hype. Or maybe just bite the bullet and order a pair. Thanks for the lead.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Serengetti polarized prescription lenses block the HUD in the A6. Back in the day when I had a BMW E92 335i coupe with no navigation, I could not see the radio display with polarized glasses. I posted on the BMW forums and found that placing a sheet of circular polarized material on the radio display cured the problem. I am not sure this would work with projected info on the HUD, and no one that I know of makes circular polarized lenses. I will have to dig in my junk pile to find the circular polarized material.

It appears that 3D glasses for TV or movies are circular polarized and will work. These are available in prescription versions. I suppose you could try it out with a set of glasses from your visit to a 3d movie...

About Our Circular Polarized 3D Prescription Lenses

Last edited by Fithian; 09-29-2015 at 05:06 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had heard (from the owner of a top-notch detail shop) that Maui Jim now makes circular polarized sunglasses, which don't have this problem. However, I have had zero success in confirming that -- I've asked 4-5 optometry offices and also searched all over the Maui Jim website, but nothing. With the growing use of HUD, you'd think it's just a matter of time before one of the sunglasses companies sees the light.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: heads up display erased with polarized sunglasses?