Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

My Project - Best of Both Worlds (I Hope)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 01:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Project - Best of Both Worlds (I Hope)

This thread might only apply to 10 persons here but it is an interesting issue. I purchased my C7 A6 using the military cars sales program in Europe. This is my 3rd Audi I have purchased this way with the previous vehicles being a 2006 A6 and a 2008 Q7. Previously, I haven't had too much of an issue (subjective ) getting the navigation to work in my vehicles. There was always some anomalies involved but the solutions worked at least 85 percent. When I purchased my new C7 A6 I received a 300 USD credit for a non functioning navigation unit for Europe. I could not have anticipated the difficulty in finding a solution to this issue and (hopefully) getting a fix for it.

To make a long story short I ended up sending my head unit and radio to a group that specializes in the changing the units from EU to US or US to EU. This is typically a simple conversion according to them but my particular car resulted in some additional complications. Audi Connect in the US is tethered to a carrier (T-Mobile) so it doesn't work in Europe as well (they did not indicate that as an issue) as well as enabling Google Maps. In any case my unit is on its way back to me to have reinstalled and I will post updates on the process during the week. I plan on the unit being here by Weds.

BTW - If US person is interested there is a Audi Media App for the iPhone in the App store for Europe. Its a free app and you can create a free credit card less account. I installed it and will try it out once I receive my head unit.

I am a early adopter tech junkie and network engineer but am not a mechanical guru by any means. This is just a project.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the post! I already pm'd you earlier and got your response.

I can't wait to hear the results! I would love to have NAV while living here in Europe!
Old 03-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested

Hello I will also be standing by to see how this works for you. I would love to take the garmin out the window and use the toys included in the car.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Euro tail lights?!?!

Originally Posted by darcivic00si
Thanks for the post! I already pm'd you earlier and got your response.

I can't wait to hear the results! I would love to have NAV while living here in Europe!

What's the difference? If this works out I am going to try and retro fit headlamp washers. I am suppose to get the full EU version mmi so I hope the streaming media app i downloaded from the app store works as well.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lmbatts
What's the difference? If this works out I am going to try and retro fit headlamp washers. I am suppose to get the full EU version mmi so I hope the streaming media app i downloaded from the app store works as well.
European spec tail lights use an amber rear turn signal that is just one single row of LEDs towards the top of the tail lights. They also don't have the red indicator light on the side of the tail light.

I had to have these retrofitted on my car because of the UK MOT vehicle inspection. Unless you are within a year of your excepted statside return, you have to have amber rear turn signals over here.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

European spec tail lights use an amber rear turn signal that is just one single row of LEDs towards the top of the tail lights. They also don't have the red indicator light on the side of the tail light.

I had to have these retrofitted on my car because of the UK MOT vehicle inspection. Unless you are within a year of your excepted statside return, you have to have amber rear turn signals over here.
That is interesting. I bet right hand drive is difficult to get used to even on extended stays. I worked at Wes Rislip and 7th N. Audley in 2001 for about 6 months. I stayed at the Thistle Marble Arch. I love the greater London area
Old 03-17-2012, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Success!!!!

I received my head unit and radio on Friday and and it installed. I have EU maps and EU tuned radio. I also have the google maps loaded and I did an RSAP connection with my wife Galaxy S2. Only issue is the unit never finds the network. Always say "network searching". I am having the guys at VNS look into it

So VNS Media

http://naviservice.com.pl/?lang=en

Is the service I used. I sent my unit in the mail to them. The whole process from sending to receiving it back took2 weeks.
I will post some pictures later
Old 03-17-2012, 11:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lmbatts
Success!!!!

I received my head unit and radio on Friday and and it installed. I have EU maps and EU tuned radio. I also have the google maps loaded and I did an RSAP connection with my wife Galaxy S2. Only issue is the unit never finds the network. Always say "network searching". I am having the guys at VNS look into it

So VNS Media

http://naviservice.com.pl/?lang=en

Is the service I used. I sent my unit in the mail to them. The whole process from sending to receiving it back took2 weeks.
I will post some pictures later
Sweet! This is very exciting! Looking forward to the pics.

Where/what exactly did you need to remove? Was it easy and non-invasive for the car?
Old 03-18-2012, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Picture Updates

Sweet! This is very exciting! Looking forward to the pics.

Where/what exactly did you need to remove? Was it easy and non-invasive for the car?
Non invasive. It was easy to take out and put in. In the front you can pop off the plate for the temp. For the head unit you have to put the car in Drive, take out a retaining screw. It slides out. There are two cable that light the airbag/traction panel so unclip those and slide out gently
Attached Images    
Old 03-29-2012, 01:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

I also got a quote from Marek at VNS and it is 750 Euro plus VAT and return shipping.

This includes everything EU navigation maps, EU google maps, rsap, and EU tuned radio.

I will be sending my stuff off soon!

Last edited by darcivic00si; 04-24-2012 at 02:48 AM.

Quick Reply: My Project - Best of Both Worlds (I Hope)