Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi Care Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Audi Care Analysis

Audi Care Analysis

If you want to have the dealer do the maintenance while under warranty (so any defects can be handled in one place with no potential for finger pointing if something goes wrong), you will come out ahead about 25-30% with Audi Care based on what dealers typically charge.

If you wish to have your regular service done by an independent, you would save about 10-15% from the cost of Audi Care depending on what the indy charges.

An advantage of having the dealer do the service vs. an indy while under warranty is there will be no finger pointing if something goes wrong. There's also the convenience of a one-stop shop for warranty repairs and scheduled service. Most dealers offer loaners unlike most indy shops.

If you do it yourself, it's no contest cost-wise but obviously, you have to factor in your time, experience and inconvenience if you run into any issues. You should save your receipts and log your work in order to be covered under warranty.

For those on the fence, you can wait to buy AC although it may cost more. (The price tends to go up a bit each year). If you plan on driving the car less than than 50K miles (or keeping it for less than 4 years whichever comes first), Audi Care is may not pay although, a new owner in a private sale might consider the remaining value. No remaining AC value from a dealer on a trade in should be expected.

If you are leasing through AFS, adding Audi Care at the time of initiating the lease will increase the residual by 1%, lowering the payments which will cover most of the AC cost.

A note for those who receive a discount on AC or get it included "free" when purchasing a car: Dealer cost is about 90% of the retail price for AC - there is little profit for the dealer. Therefore, theoretically if one were to pass on it, they could negotiate the approximate cost of AC from the purchase price of the car. There are no free rides here.

=====================

Audi Care program details (U.S.)

• All scheduled maintenance must be completed by an authorized Audi Dealer.
• Audi Care is only valid in the country in which it is purchased.
• Audi Care may not be canceled and is non-refundable. No refunds will be given if your lease is terminated early, or if your lease term is less than the coverage period.
• Audi Care coverage may not be transferred to another new or pre-owned vehicle. Coverage stays with the vehicle for the life of the plan and is transferable to a new owner.
• Audi Care can also be purchased at the full MSRP any time after the initial sale of the vehicle. A later purchase will not, however, allow you to roll the cost into your monthly payment if any. Service intervals that have already been performed will not be prorated. To receive the full cost-savings benefits of Audi Care, it is highly recommended that you purchase the plan at the time you purchase your vehicle or before the 20K service interval.

Last edited by snagitseven; 04-11-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good summary. I am believer in taking it. Easier that way..until 50K.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2012 A6 was my first Audi, so I bought Audi Care (Canada) for the peace of mind. Oil changes are pricy ($250)each, Audi care cost $750 (4 yrs) that will cover oil changes (probably 3 times) but I need to read what else it covers during first 4 years. I think each country may be different but will ask service dept.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Love the color of your car!
Old 02-25-2012, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

The only thing that I would add to snagitseven's compehensive post is good will. My wife purchased Audi Care, and when she had a problem with her windshield wipper motor, it was replaced by Audi free of charge despite the fact that her warranty had expired six months earlier. Since 100% of her service work was performed by the Dealership, they acted as her advocate for the out of warranty repair. I'm not saying that all Dealerships would do the same, but the Dealer my wife used did.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by stoulana
2012 A6 was my first Audi, so I bought Audi Care (Canada) for the peace of mind. Oil changes are pricy ($250)each, Audi care cost $750 (4 yrs) that will cover oil changes (probably 3 times) but I need to read what else it covers during first 4 years. I think each country may be different but will ask service dept.
Audi Care covers 4 oil changes: 15k, 25k, 35k and 45k. If you want to know exactly what else it will cover, ask for the maintenance manual for the 2012 A6 at the dealer. I'm sure they have them in the showroom/demo cars gloveboxes at least.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fromGMCtoAUDI
Audi Care covers 4 oil changes: 15k, 25k, 35k and 45k. If you want to know exactly what else it will cover, ask for the maintenance manual for the 2012 A6 at the dealer. I'm sure they have them in the showroom/demo cars gloveboxes at least.
Not just oil changes, it includes everything that would need to be serviced on the scheduled maintenance at those mileage intervals. I went ahead and purchased it when I picked up my 2012 A6 a couple of weeks ago. The savings are around 30 or 35% vs. regular dealer pricing, and $800 is very reasonable.

Neurobit
Old 03-09-2012, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

its an even bigger savings if your leasing. You get a 1% bump on the residual which depending on your interest rate, cuts the price of the audi care in half if you amortize the cost into your payment and recognize that your paying interest on it.

In my lease, audi care ended up costing me around $11 per month more than not adding it on a 36 month lease.

Not to make this a lease vs. buy discussion, but if leasing works for you, its a no brainer not to do it.