Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Start-Stop causing damage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Start-Stop causing damage?

How many of you use the start-stop system on a regular basis? I had issues with vibration in my 14 prestige at idle and it was determined that the motor mounts and / or transmission mount were bad. All 3 were replaced and the issue seems to have gone away.

Though driving today with the start-stop, I had a thought about the engine turning over repeatedly and possibly causing damage to the mounts. There was no explanation about the mounts being bad, just that it could be a defect. Thoughts?
Old 11-20-2016, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kevrhof
How many of you use the start-stop system on a regular basis? I had issues with vibration in my 14 prestige at idle and it was determined that the motor mounts and / or transmission mount were bad. All 3 were replaced and the issue seems to have gone away.

Though driving today with the start-stop, I had a thought about the engine turning over repeatedly and possibly causing damage to the mounts. There was no explanation about the mounts being bad, just that it could be a defect. Thoughts?
I've thought from the beginning that there could very well be collateral damage using this system. Motor mounts would fall under that category, IMHO. Starter motors and solenoids would, as well. Mostly, I leave it off.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

There are tens of thousands cars with the start stop system. If using it caused damage to the mounts, the mounts would be made stronger.

Sounds like you had one bad engine mount which transferred more force onto the other two. The dealer elected to replace them all.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by kevrhof

Turned mine off within the first few days of getting the car and never reenabled it. I don't care about the fuel savings. I care more about wear and tear on the related components, hence why it's disabled.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Wish I could permanently disable it but can't, sigh.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
Turned mine off within the first few days of getting the car and never reenabled it. I don't care about the fuel savings. I care more about wear and tear on the related components, hence why it's disabled.
same here! as soon as i took delivery i pulled it into the shop and they disabled it !!
Old 11-20-2016, 12:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I give.....how did you have it disabled? I have a 2016 3.0T. I would most likely like it disabled. I almost always switch it off as soon as I start up.

Thanks Mike
Old 11-20-2016, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Wish I could permanently disable it but can't, sigh.
Originally Posted by A6 Luver
Ok I give.....how did you have it disabled? I have a 2016 3.0T. I would most likely like it disabled. I almost always switch it off as soon as I start up.

Thanks Mike
I also have a 2016 3.0T. *** comes on by default but can be coded off permanently, as we did last year. Search this forum for the thread with the specific instructions. I posted in it, so that would be one way to search. As I recall, it was a quick and simple matter of a value originally set to "20" being changed to "16", saved, and *** never came on again, and the LED indicating the off status stays illuminated.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by A6 Luver

Thanks Mike
For MY2016 it must be done via the VAG interface to permanently disable it.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sportstick
I also have a 2016 3.0T. *** comes on by default but can be coded off permanently, as we did last year. Search this forum for the thread with the specific instructions. I posted in it, so that would be one way to search. As I recall, it was a quick and simple matter of a value originally set to "20" being changed to "16", saved, and *** never came on again, and the LED indicating the off status stays illuminated.
I was going to ask why you have 3's "*" in your post, and when i hit quote, it came up A-S-S haha got it

Quick Reply: Start-Stop causing damage?