A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 HAS A VERY VERY BIG PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 HAS A VERY VERY BIG PROBLEM

So I have an Audi A6 family have owned it for 18 years now... it's a 1999 2.4l v6 petrol with automatic tiptronic gearbox... revs redline in park and neutral but in drive only revs to 2500 and is limited to one drive gear... presumable gear 1. Car broke down in December as was driving back home and was stuck in traffic so put transmission into park and when traffic started to move again. The gear stick got stuck and would not get out of park unless I disconnected the shift lock... called the AA and got home... car has been sad ever since have no idea what to do... tried disconnecting battery and holding terminals together to reset the car... still nothing. ABS light stays on when engine is running though... any ideas?
Old 02-13-2018, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

So you got it home, do a VAG Com scan and pull codes. Also can attempt a hard reset by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes or so then reconnect. This will sometimes clear codes if only temporarily. Sounds like you are in limp mode but need fault codes to be sure. There is a post on here somewhere regarding magnetic sensors that are in the vicinity of the shift tower in the console. These can sometimes become displaced and cause a problem like what you are having. ABS issue may not be related to the transmission issue. Tanya at OCLES on this site has a hot-shot tech that works in her shop that is up to speed on Tiptronics.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:42 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

If the PRNDL is lit up all as one, it's in "limp home mode" which is actually 4th gear with unlocked torque converter on most models. I would read the codes stored in the TCU and report back.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:07 PM
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleyguy
So you got it home, do a VAG Com scan and pull codes. Also can attempt a hard reset by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes or so then reconnect. This will sometimes clear codes if only temporarily. Sounds like you are in limp mode but need fault codes to be sure. There is a post on here somewhere regarding magnetic sensors that are in the vicinity of the shift tower in the console. These can sometimes become displaced and cause a problem like what you are having. ABS issue may not be related to the transmission issue. Tanya at OCLES on this site has a hot-shot tech that works in her shop that is up to speed on Tiptronics.
Thank you, Harleyguy. :-) I agree that the first step is to ask the car's computers "what's wrong?" since that provides a good basis for diagnosis.

~Tanya
Old 02-14-2018, 01:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That does not show up on dashboard
Old 02-14-2018, 01:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The car cannot be read by the computer... it used to be able to but isn't showing up anymore
Old 02-14-2018, 02:54 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Wmbowen76
The car cannot be read by the computer... it used to be able to but isn't showing up anymore
Unplug the ABS control unit and try again.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Unplug the ABS control unit and try again.
another issue I have is that when changing from park into drive or reverse the whole car judders violently
Old 02-14-2018, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Wmbowen76

another issue I have is that when changing from park into drive or reverse the whole car judders violently
That's normal in limp mode. You're basically going from park to 4th gear. Get the other codes sorted, and that should go away.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

is there an easier way to get it out of limp mode? ive tried resetting transmission, disconnecting the battery... i dont have a VAG COM as i only have a mac computer and no cable either

Quick Reply: A6 HAS A VERY VERY BIG PROBLEM