A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Disappointing ongoing issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointing ongoing issue

I love my A6 but man has it given me some headaches.

Current issue: Driving to school this morning and low batter volt light comes on, I look at the volt gauge and yep, its right around 10-11 v.

I figured it probably just needs a charge since I had made several short trips earlier.

I go to class, come out and starts up with the slightest bit of hesitation, no worries though since the drive home should give it a good charge.

On the drive home low battery comes on again, and slowly getting lower on gauge. (Sidenote: At first warning, I immediately turn all non essential electronics off, radio, AC, lights)

I pull into a nearby autozone to see if the can give me a free reading. Their equipment was broken so I was out of luck.

Tried starting the car again and it was begging for more juice, but it starts. I get on the road and take it to my usual shop who specializes in euro autos. Now just waiting for a diagnostics

My concerns are, my current battery was replaced (by same shop) just about 3 or 4 months ago. The battery previous to my current one was put in about 7-9 months ago.

Alternator was replaced around same time frame as old battery.

Suggestions, comments, questions, or ideas? Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Needs an alternator.
Where did the current unit come from? If Autozone, you definitely need an alternator.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Needs an alternator.
Where did the current unit come from? If Autozone, you definitely need an alternator.

+1 you need an alternator.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default +2 Stay away from HondaZone

Buy the real deal!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yay hondazone is catching on!!!

but seriously dude complaining is annoying, unless by driving to school you mean college (and even then you should be driving something else) you shouldn't complain because you cant afford the car.

50K car new, lots of advanced technology, lots of complicated engineering and expensive parts.

I see you are a new comer, will give you some GREAT advice, put 100 dollars away every month into an audi repair fund. DONT TOUCH IT. if you do that, you will never have a problem you cant tackle.

Also, we are here to help, save a BUNCH of money, get the repair manual, get some tools and get dirty! its a bitch at times but its the only way to stay sane owning these cars... either that, or deep pockets
Old 03-02-2013, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 677 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
I see you are a new comer, will give you some GREAT advice, put 100 dollars away every month into an audi repair fund. DONT TOUCH IT. if you do that, you will never have a problem you cant tackle.
This is great advice.

Now seriously, for the OP. The issue is your alternator. You really need to go OEM with the alternator. Does not need to be dealer installed, but it really needs to be OEM. Sounds like you are out of warranty on your current alternator. Don't sweat it for a minute. Pull the OEM part number, spend an hour internet shopping for it and then call two local Audi parts departments. (yes you can buy parts from Audi dealers and not have them installed there) Decide which price you like best and pull the trigger.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:34 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

You don't need to buy dealer to get OEM quality.
Joe at Axis Motorsports.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 677 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
You don't need to buy dealer to get OEM quality.
Joe at Axis Motorsports.
I should have been clearer that the hour of internet shopping was for OEM quality non OEM parts. With Audi, there are typically lots of options.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Update,
shop called, said around $1600 for alternator, water pump, timing belt and labor.
Fair price? They have always done good work and very helpful so Im not really doubting them.

As for the 2.7T guy, thats a lot of speculation and judgement right there.
1. I do go to college, after serving in the military.
2. How do you know what my finances are like, or what I can afford.
3. Whos complaining, I said it gave me headaches.....thats it.

So I have no idea where you got any of that from.

Anyways, thanks for all the other posts, I figured it was the alternator, which was OEM spec from online (Not Autozone) but it may have just been a bad one.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ryan Reynolds

Thank you for your service to this country!

My oldest son came back last september and is still active as a medic, he is now in Texas with his army wife who was in Korea, they both report at Fort Sam for further medical training and certs.

Back to the car $1600 is not bad, not bad at all if you trust them.

Good luck Sir!

Quick Reply: Disappointing ongoing issue