A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Ever damage your front bumper cover pulling OUT of a parking spot?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default me 1, wife 2 - her's both caused damage: It's not possible to pull over the curb without scraping.

It's a driver judgement error.
Old 01-15-2002, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Lowers the rear of the car... you'd have to be talking fractions of fractions.
Old 01-15-2002, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Whatever.
Old 01-15-2002, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My HONEST opinion...

Let's say someone rips their bumper off, and gets pissed when they find out it will cost $1,000 to fix... so they blame Audi (why not?) and call it a "mechanical defect" and attempt to get Audi to pay for it.

Fact is that while the bumper could be designed better, with less of a chance of damage, this is operator error. There is no defect since it's not failing... it's not even a mechanical part. It's a piece of trim, rather. I suppose you expect Audi to do an all-models recall and retrofit hundreds of thousands of cars with new bumpers that are modified to not be damaged over parking blocks, since 20 or 30 write in complaints every year? If only the world were so perfect.

If you bang your car into a concrete wall and need a new bumper, do you call this a "defect" as well?

If you want to post photos or videos that PROVE that a bumper can drive FORWARD over a parking block and not make ANY CONTACT but not BACK out of that same space without damaging the bumper, than we'll listen. But you do realize, that you're going to need some pretty nifty special effects to get that done, don't you?

Until then, you're just wasting our time.
Old 01-15-2002, 07:24 PM

Default I had this exact problem with my A4

And it was because the bumper caught on the parking block. I didn't hear it when pulling into the spot, but I could see where it caught (it actually caught on the steel tie holding the wooden parking stop in place).
Old 01-15-2002, 07:29 PM

Default happened to me too

at the local shoprite supermarket. Pulled it off like 3" on either side. It wasn't a pretty sight. I took it to the dealer....and $190 on labor and $3 on parts later and it looks 97% better. The bottom of the bumper is still bent outward a little. and thier was some paint chipping off by the fog light holes.
Old 01-15-2002, 07:49 PM
Elder Member

Default This sounds like the Audi 5000 Unintended Accelleration scam all over again . . .

Every single person claimed way back almost 20 years ago they were pressing the brake pedal. But guess what? No skid marks! The car just lunged forward . . . yup, Audi's fault.

Same thing here. How do you know they didn't hear a sound when parking? Did the drivers tell you this? Gee, same thing the investigators were told back 20 years ago, they all swore they hit the brake pedal.

If you have any evidance as you claim, post it here and show the world. You can't be afraid of Audi getting ahold of it, you will eventually have to show them in a court of law.

Did anyone check a car BEFORE parking? Then did they check a car AFTER parking? Was hte car clean of all scratches? Then when you backed out did the car lower itself x # of inches or centimenter snd hook the parking block?

Do the drivers in your lawsuit even know that those parking blocks are meant to NOT bang the front tires with? They are there to makr off the front of the spot and act a sort of curbing for a pedestrian walkway. The nose of a car is not supposed to go past or hang over these blocks.

Let me ask you something . . . If a parking spot were next to a building and the spots were laid out to nose in towards the building. The cement blocks were setup 24" from the building and someone parking proceded to crash into the side of the building . . . whose fault would it be? Would the owner hire you to investigate the placement of the cement block? Would you then determine that the block should have been 48" from the edge of the building so as to prevent a driver from smacking the building?

Come on, this is all nonesense!
Old 01-15-2002, 07:51 PM
Elder Member

Because he is a troll with no "proof", just looking to stir up trouble.
Old 01-15-2002, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The owners are full of crap. Put them with the "my foot was on the brake" sudden acceleration crowd.
Old 01-15-2002, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Or he is looking for people to subpoena.......

Quick Reply: Ever damage your front bumper cover pulling OUT of a parking spot?