A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Rear window switches not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear window switches not working

Noticed that both rear window switches have stopped working at the same time along with the center rear dome light(not bulbs). Was wondering if there is a fuse somewhere or if this could be a wiring problem. I did have a puddle of water in the back seat floor a few years ago due to a clogged drain under the ecu, maybe wire corrosion? But again not sure where the wires run? Thanks for the help!
Old 07-03-2010, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

also check the child lock-out
Old 07-03-2010, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 68 Likes on 67 Posts

yeah definitely check that lockout on the drivers door .. mine is busted and rear ones wont work unless i hold the button down . pretty mickey mouse switch . i am going to jumer it when I get around to it..
Old 07-04-2010, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

My car has the same problem, took the window switch apart and the culprit is the lockout switch...specifically a tiny plastic tab that holds the switch in the down position. I'm going to try and repair it but it looks like I'm buying a new switch.

Here are some pics for reference:

Window Switch

Lock-out close up

Circuit board(small metal pin between red & yellow lights locks into tab)

Broken tab in center of white plastic contact assembly

The metal pin slides down the channel and gets directed to the tab that should be in the center of the channel, mine is broken so it is pushed against the top left edge.

I'll report back if I'm able to repair this or if I have to order a new switch.

Last edited by sqplus; 07-04-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sqplus
My car has the same problem, took the window switch apart and the culprit is the lockout switch...specifically a tiny plastic tab that holds the switch in the down position. I'm going to try and repair it but it looks like I'm buying a new switch.
mine had the same issue. Don't need to ever lock the windows out so I just took out the springs. Gravity takes over and allows the switch to remain in the depressed position.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey Joe

Like everyone said above, definitely the lockout switch.

I bought a new unit off eBay for around $30. Came form Hong Kong, but it was a genuine part. Here's one I found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...Q5fAccessories

Install takes about 3 min.

Cheers
Massboykie
Old 07-06-2010, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Same here...HongKong FTW!
One thing, the trim piece that holds the switches is easily damaged and doesn't want to stay in...the little **** get broken off...they weren't too robust in the first place!
So I used a couple drops (DROPS!!!) of gorilla glue (gotta love that stuff but watch out for expansion/foaming as it hardens!) and a bar clamp with rubber tips to hold it down overnight...Wala!

Mine is 10 years old and 140+K miles....if I have to replace it in another 10 years and 140K miles I'll be happy.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Same problem here.. but I modified a $3 Radioshack switch and installed it in the place of the original switch inside the module... From the outside the module looks absolutely original... the switch is completely inside the module and covered by the original lockout switch cover
Old 07-08-2010, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Maini
Same problem here.. but I modified a $3 Radioshack switch and installed it in the place of the original switch inside the module... From the outside the module looks absolutely original... the switch is completely inside the module and covered by the original lockout switch cover
RadioShack part number? Pictures? Please?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

(Sorry about my English I am Hungarian) My car has the same problem.I am an car electrician. I took the window switch apart. The problem is if you leave the door open the moisture damaging the printed circuit board. The copper is water sensitive.
So under the child lock-out button the water can enter. But it does not dry. Because the small gap between the switch and the printed circuit board. If it happened probably you can notice the green copper rust (Or not because that is under the switch). The water eat the wires on the printed circuit board. I tried remove the switch. But I could not do without damage the switch. The plastic of the switch is melted a little bit. And the metal pieces alignment is moved. But now i could see the problem. And it is fixable by 2 wires. You have reconnect these pads by wires.

Quick Reply: Rear window switches not working