A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Do I need to change rotors every time changing brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Do I need to change rotors every time changing brake pads?

I used to change rotors only when they worn. But my BMW friends tell me that modern German cars require changing brake rotors every time I change brake pads. is it so?

Which pads to choose: Hawk HP, Pagid or OEM? I do not care about brake dust. I do not want sinking feeling of cold racing pads. I enjoy the "my brakes are awersome" feeling with current OEM brakes. and I hate GreenStuff.

Also just for my education, why Audi puts a single piston brakes on A6 while even Subaru uses two piston setup on much smaller and cheaper cars.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do not agree with your friend.
There is a minimum thickness specified by every auto manufacturers.
If you take your rotors to the place like O'Reilly, they will tell you if they can be turned or not.

It depends on your driving style, but my experience has been every 3rd brake pads required new rotor (only one turning of rotors). Typical scenario has been like: original pads and rotors, 2nd pads with turned rotors at 50k miles, and 3rd pads with new rotors around 100k miles.

I replaced rotors, brake pads, brake fluid, and upper control arm bushings for my 06 A6 around 98K miles. I had some pads left but I replaced them while I was replacing the bushings for control arm. My rotors were too thin to be turned.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I concur with this advice and typically follow myself.

However I've had rotors that became pitted and grooved far earlier, so bottom line check them regularly.

Originally Posted by audi bug
..Typical scenario has been like: original pads and rotors, 2nd pads with turned rotors at 50k miles, and 3rd pads with new rotors around 100k miles.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

What's the cost to turn rotors nowadays (even though they're not supposed to be machined) ? Re-use the rotors if they're still in very good shape.

I see new OE rotors for this car for $50 each.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my experience, I had to replace rotors every time I changed pads on both my Audi and Mercedes. On my previous domestic and Japanese cars, I didn't change the rotors until the 3rd pad change.

I believe the real difference is the pads. The Audi OEM pads have a lot of metallic particles (the reason for heavy brake dust) and they wear out the rotors rather quickly. I replaced my pads with Akebonos and they seem to hold their claim of being rotor friendly.

If you don't care about the brake dust, then I'd stick with the OEM. Never used Hawk HPS but I hear they perform well as well. I'm using the Akebonos and have been extremely happy with the performance and the elimination of dust. The only issue I have is that aftermarket pads might not have the exact dimension as the OEMs. This causes rattle/clunk noise when going over road reflectors. My OEMs made this noise as well but the Akebonos definitely make more.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great questions which are easy to determine, if the rotors are below minimum specifications they need replaced. Audi does not, due to weight requirement (or needed lack there of), have rotors with enough "meat" to resurface--so no turning needed. We do see about 50/50 on having to replace rotors with pads, so you have a good chance pads will do it. Since we only deal in OEM we too love the feel and abilities of what came factory on your Audi. There are many aftermarket and performance options but our words of wisdom are to be careful! There are great offering as long as you get the whole upgrade package, if you just pick the pads for performance you run the risk of noise and worse loss of stopping ability. If you are looking to match what you have on there now at a good price we ask that you check us out. We love to talk Audi if you have additional questions.
Loree
Old 06-15-2011, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NR04
In my experience, I had to replace rotors every time I changed pads on both my Audi and Mercedes. On my previous domestic and Japanese cars, I didn't change the rotors until the 3rd pad change.

I believe the real difference is the pads. The Audi OEM pads have a lot of metallic particles (the reason for heavy brake dust) and they wear out the rotors rather quickly. I replaced my pads with Akebonos and they seem to hold their claim of being rotor friendly.

If you don't care about the brake dust, then I'd stick with the OEM. Never used Hawk HPS but I hear they perform well as well. I'm using the Akebonos and have been extremely happy with the performance and the elimination of dust. The only issue I have is that aftermarket pads might not have the exact dimension as the OEMs. This causes rattle/clunk noise when going over road reflectors. My OEMs made this noise as well but the Akebonos definitely make more.
NR04,
I followed your advise here and used Akebono pads.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2801452

I totally agree with your review. Akebono has a lot less brake durst. It doesn't have initial bite that OEM has, but it has braking power of OEM once you pass the intial stage.
I think it is easier to modulate than OEM.

Amazon has them for $84. EUR1111 is for 321mm rotor.

http://www.amazon.com/Akebono-EUR111...ar=1&carId=023
Old 06-15-2011, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NR04,

I totally agree with your review. Akebono has a lot less brake durst. It doesn't have initial bite that OEM has, but it has braking power of OEM once you pass the intial stage.
Great! I still love them. I haven't used my wheel cleaner since I changed the pads. One question for you, are you experiencing any noise coming from the calipers? They rattle when going over the road reflectors and clunk when going from reverse to forward (pads shifting).
Old 06-15-2011, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is great - I purchased them from placeforbrakes.com last time, but it looks like amazon has a better price.

Do you know if amazon has the rear pads as well? part #?

NR04,

Amazon has them for $84. EUR1111 is for 321mm rotor.

http://www.amazon.com/Akebono-EUR111...ar=1&carId=023
Old 06-15-2011, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by NR04

One question for you, are you experiencing any noise coming from the calipers? They rattle when going over the road reflectors and clunk when going from reverse to forward (pads shifting).
I've got the EUR1111 installed in the front of our A6 car. Do you have the anti rattle clips in place? Our pads don't move at all, no noises.

Quick Reply: Do I need to change rotors every time changing brake pads?