A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Major timing chain problems - 2010 A6

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing chain replacement - 2010 A6 - UPDATE

My 2010 A6 3.0T has been at the dealer service department for a week now. They finally figured out the strange noise coming from the engine was the timing chain, specifically, the tensioners. The advisor told me today they had to order a new timing chain, new tensioners, and some other parts that were damaged. He said they have removed the engine from my car and and have taken it all apart.

Anybody have any idea what this means? Is this common in the A6?

I'm not real thrilled that my engine is in pieces, couldn't this mean even more problems down the road?

Good thing it is still under factory warranty with only 24K miles.

Last edited by camrnlendy; 12-23-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thats pretty interesting, this is a problem you see with the v8 in the s4 with the guides breaking. Sometimes see it happening with poor maintenance or driving hard while engine is cold but I doubt thats the case on a 24k engine
Old 12-23-2012, 05:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update:

Audi service department has had my A6 for almost 4 weeks now. Timing chain, tensioners, and a slew of other parts needed to be replaced. Engine has been pulled from the car.

Some of the parts had to be shipped from Germany which took another week and a half.

Service department has been good, calling me every other day to keep me updated. Gave me a 2012 Q5 loaner which I've had the whole time. AOA has offered to make payments on the car until the car is finally returned to me.

Has anyone had anything like this ever happen?
Old 12-24-2012, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camrnlendy
Update:

Audi service department has had my A6 for almost 4 weeks now. Timing chain, tensioners, and a slew of other parts needed to be replaced. Engine has been pulled from the car.

Some of the parts had to be shipped from Germany which took another week and a half.

Service department has been good, calling me every other day to keep me updated. Gave me a 2012 Q5 loaner which I've had the whole time. AOA has offered to make payments on the car until the car is finally returned to me.

Has anyone had anything like this ever happen?
YOU should feel fortunate with the service ur getting.

i had my engine dropped for leaks. they had to changed the seals ,all of them. and even de-coupled the gear box....
kept the car for over a month, never called. only when i did.didnt even want to give me a loaner. did eventually...

after that the car was not the same. i ended up having to put a new vavle body in my tranny, they literally ****ed up the tranny when putting it back. whether it was wiring or else im not sure...

im not trying to scare u. but that was my situation.

now the car runs great, i never take it to a stealer. i do everything i can, myself. or take it to my mechanic.

good luck.
and keep us posted.

merry xmassss
Old 12-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I'm real nervous that they dropped the engine, and fear the car won't be the same. But the service department is good, and AOA has been very good to me as well. So if the car isn't right when I get it back, it will just go back to service until it runs normal.

Will keep you all posted on the outcome of this timing chain issue.

Originally Posted by pcamaj
YOU should feel fortunate with the service ur getting.

i had my engine dropped for leaks. they had to changed the seals ,all of them. and even de-coupled the gear box....
kept the car for over a month, never called. only when i did.didnt even want to give me a loaner. did eventually...

after that the car was not the same. i ended up having to put a new vavle body in my tranny, they literally ****ed up the tranny when putting it back. whether it was wiring or else im not sure...

im not trying to scare u. but that was my situation.

now the car runs great, i never take it to a stealer. i do everything i can, myself. or take it to my mechanic.

good luck.
and keep us posted.

merry xmassss
Old 02-06-2014, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by camrnlendy
Will keep you all posted on the outcome of this timing chain issue.
....soooo what ever happened with this?
Did you get a root cause as to failure?
Anyone else having tensioner problems on the 3.0T?