A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Tail light "covers/lens" cracking. Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tail light "covers/lens" cracking. Anyone?

My 05 developed a significant crack (drivers side) that I was relatively sure was caused from "something" striking/hitting it. 1 month later my pass side has cracked in exactly the same spot. Both span completely across the lens.

I've had moisture issues inside both before but was told "that's the way they are, they're vented". BS I say but whatever. I've also had the come and go tail/brake light issue others have mentioned here (pre cracking).

At any rate, has anyone else had these things just crack out of the clear blue? Repair consists of replacing the whole assembly.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Bump. I find it hard to believe I'm the only one to have experienced this. One light? Yeah, I'd say fluke. Both of them?
Old 08-30-2009, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have what looks like stress crack on my 05 as well. no moisture though.
The following users liked this post:
Brian O'Callaghan (06-01-2021)
Old 09-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nobody else? Surely a defect. Hard to believe both of mine are shot.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have moisture and cracking.

Although the cracking is not big enough to be noticable, I am sure that with winter coming, the light will accumulate more moisture (it has always done so in winter) and with the temperature falling below freezing, it will develop a significant crack.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old thread but still relevant.

Both sides on my 05 have stress cracks, right where the clear reverse lights are. Almost like the plastic instead of being molded is pulled across the curvature of the housing shape. Very strange to see that.

Is this not a common problem as this thread is pretty small?

The driver's side light I'm afraid I'll have to replace soon. The crack has the plastic pulled out on the lower section and is now a ledge to hold water. I was parked at the airport for the last week and came out to find that side's light assembly to have about the bottom 1/3 of it filled with water. I'm afraid it won't be long until it fails.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the exact same problem. Both lights cracked and minor moisture inside. Will replace them soon.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

My driver side rear lens is cracked as well, but the prior owner had clearly had a rear impact as the bumper has spider webbing in the paint and one of the parking sensors was dislodged. I just assumed that the cracking was from that rear impact and not some kind of defect.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have to stop reading the forums Yesterday on our local forum they were talking about parktronic sensors that are not working, and today mine stopped working for couple of hours, and the out of the blue... I notice mu rear left lens was cracked almost side to side . 100% sure it wasn't when I bought the car (got just 1600km on it), but there was moisture... So it is safe to say, that putting aside the bad juju, it appears moisture has something to do with it
Old 06-25-2014, 10:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just replaced mine with aftermarket lenses for much cheaper than the dealer ones. Both of my OEM tail lights had stress marks all over them and one was cracked side to side, causing bulb out issues because of moisture getting in and corroding them.

These aftermarket ones don't seem as thick but hopefully won't crack like the OEM ones, well at least not for a long time. I bought These ones. I think they make the car look a little newer as well.

Quick Reply: Tail light "covers/lens" cracking. Anyone?