A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

A7 PPI problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A7 PPI problems

Hi all. I have finally found what I think is my next car. A 2015 A7 Prestige. But the PPI at Audi revealed the following.
1 The oil drain plug is leaking. Is it common? Could it be just the crush washer or is it possible the threads in the pan are bad? Is there a simple fix for stripped threads? Heli-coil maybe?
Can the lower pan be replaced without dropping suspension parts?
2 the back glass sensor. Someone tinted the back glass and may have damaged heater wires. Can they be repaired? Is it possible to remove tint without further damage?
It has a bad motor mount but that is covered under warranty. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by raa1144
2 the back glass sensor. Someone tinted the back glass and may have damaged heater wires. Can they be repaired? Is it possible to remove tint without further damage?
I've seen YouTube videos about removing tint using heat from a hair dryer. I don't know if it works on your type of tint but it's worth researching. Back in the olden days, there was electrically conductive paint to repair scratches in the defroster grid. Find the damage, mask the area and brush it on like pinstriping.

Originally Posted by raa1144
1 The oil drain plug is leaking. Is it common? Could it be just the crush washer or is it possible the threads in the pan are bad? Is there a simple fix for stripped threads? Heli-coil maybe? Can the lower pan be replaced without dropping suspension parts?
An oil drain plug leak is never common. It could be a bad crush washer or stripped threads. First thing I would do is to loosen the plug a few turns without removing it and retightening it. If the threads are stripped, you would feel it. If the threads are stripped, I would replace the oil pan. It doesn't look to be that hard of a job. It can be replaced without removing suspension parts.
Attached Thumbnails A7 PPI problems-aug-2017-14-.jpg  
Old 09-05-2017, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Tenspeed is spot on. Even if a horizonal defroster heating line is bad, its not a big deal. You may never notice it. I remember the tape and painting fix, but that was 30 years ago.......

Is the oil drain plug really leaking? Or just a wet weeping? Maybe the last numpty who changed the oil reused the oli washer or forgot the washer altogether. Due to accessible location and size, its not easy to cross thread. What do the service records show on who did the work? Audi dealer or jiffy blupe.

If i remember correctly, the pan is cheap, just pressed sheet metal. Easy swap. Must use new o ring for the Hella oil sensor on the bottom.