A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Advice on a fully loaded A7 2012

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 05:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice on a fully loaded A7 2012

I thought I would come on here and see if I can get some insight and advice on what I should ask for on a pre-certified 2012 Audi A7 going for about 65k fully loaded(all bells and whistles, havvan black, innovation package, cold weather, B & O sound system, etc/ you name it) with 18k miles on it. I was thinking of asking for 62k on it, would that be a good price for this car that has this many miles already? Also, in regards to warranty, would anyone know what I would be eligible for? Would it be a 4 year/70k mile coverage? Would it be best to get extended warranty if I was offered it for this vehicle.

As always, thank you for all your insight. I just want to make the best decision possible when negotiating and squaring off the deal.

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2012, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

TruCar.com shows a new 2012 A7 Prestige averaging around $62-66K (if you could find one). Edmunds shows a loaded (all options checked) 18K mile A7 dealer retail at $61.4K and $64.6 with CPO (certified prev. owner). Private sale shows $57.4k (no CPO, just balance of manf warranty).

As to CPO warranties, this explains it in detail:

http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/c..._warranty.html
Old 12-05-2012, 07:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

snagitseven,

Thanks so much for taking time out to reply. This is great info!
I noticed that the radio and navigation are not covered under warranty. Most of the time in cars, its always the technical/gadgets and what not break most often. Do you know if Audi offers coverage for such things? What might be the best coverage on a car like this in the long run? I would keep this car for a while.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by snagitseven
TruCar.com shows a new 2012 A7 Prestige averaging around $62-66K (if you could find one). Edmunds shows a loaded (all options checked) 18K mile A7 dealer retail at $61.4K and $64.6 with CPO (certified prev. owner). Private sale shows $57.4k (no CPO, just balance of manf warranty).

As to CPO warranties, this explains it in detail:

http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/c..._warranty.html
Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DoctoZaius
snagitseven,

Thanks so much for taking time out to reply. This is great info!
I noticed that the radio and navigation are not covered under warranty. Most of the time in cars, its always the technical/gadgets and what not break most often. Do you know if Audi offers coverage for such things? What might be the best coverage on a car like this in the long run? I would keep this car for a while.

Thanks.
First off, all the electronics would be covered under the remaining manf. warranty to 4 years or 50K miles; only the CPO extra 2 years apparently would be limited on those systems.

There are non-Audi extended warranties available that in their highest form would cover those (still with some restrictions and deductibles). If you get a CPO car, I would advise against them for these reasons:
1) the CPO will cover you on most things beyond the 5/50 manf wty anyway; why pay twice?
2) Nothing is cheap to fix on these new cars but electronics, at least, have a lesser chance of failing than the mechanical systems, especially with 4 years keft on the manf wty to debug them
3) The aftermarket warranties that would cover the radio and nav are downright expensive. Invest the money and save it towards any future repairs.
4) Warranty companies are not non-profit organizations. The odds lie with them.

One last piece of advice on buying a used car, especially one the orig owner disposed of so soon. Even though it's low mileage, from the dealer and CPO'd, I'd ask them to let you take it to another dealer or quality indy Audi mechanic and get it checked out. Would be a few bucks well spent. If your dealer refuses, run, don't walk.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can have the dealer put in the VIN and they can show you all the work that was done to the car. If they balk then you may want to think twice.

I don't worry about cars that are bought and sold so soon. I get tired of cars pretty quickly and have already thought about what my next car will be. And I am right at 18K miles myself. And about $62K is where I would have started if I were selling. There are plenty of folks that move from one car to the next, expecially on higher end vehicles. Good luck!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

snagitseven,

Great advice and feedback, I really appreciate it! I am curious though, would the car fax not be enough?

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by snagitseven
First off, all the electronics would be covered under the remaining manf. warranty to 4 years or 50K miles; only the CPO extra 2 years apparently would be limited on those systems.

There are non-Audi extended warranties available that in their highest form would cover those (still with some restrictions and deductibles). If you get a CPO car, I would advise against them for these reasons:
1) the CPO will cover you on most things beyond the 5/50 manf wty anyway; why pay twice?
2) Nothing is cheap to fix on these new cars but electronics, at least, have a lesser chance of failing than the mechanical systems, especially with 4 years keft on the manf wty to debug them
3) The aftermarket warranties that would cover the radio and nav are downright expensive. Invest the money and save it towards any future repairs.
4) Warranty companies are not non-profit organizations. The odds lie with them.

One last piece of advice on buying a used car, especially one the orig owner disposed of so soon. Even though it's low mileage, from the dealer and CPO'd, I'd ask them to let you take it to another dealer or quality indy Audi mechanic and get it checked out. Would be a few bucks well spent. If your dealer refuses, run, don't walk.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

bmcds4,

I notice that many high end cars go through their one year lease run and many go onto the next best thing. With that said, are you not happy with you car?

I ask because, I test drove the A7 and it has all that I look for; great tech, space, coupe type style, etc.

Thanks for your feedback!

Originally Posted by bmcds4
You can have the dealer put in the VIN and they can show you all the work that was done to the car. If they balk then you may want to think twice.

I don't worry about cars that are bought and sold so soon. I get tired of cars pretty quickly and have already thought about what my next car will be. And I am right at 18K miles myself. And about $62K is where I would have started if I were selling. There are plenty of folks that move from one car to the next, expecially on higher end vehicles. Good luck!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm happy with the car but I like to switch it up on occasion. I only had 19K on the RS4 when I sold it. BTW - I bought that RS4 CPO with 3500 miles on it. My dealer has a guy that has an S8, a convertible Audi, and another sedan and trades all three in every two years. I lucked out on that one. Need to update the sig - sold the Z06 earlier too. It's a sickness - I know that! Go buy your A7!!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Don't trust a carfax- I know from experience. I wouldn't be concerned about the car being traded in so soon- I lived in Scottsdale AZ and you wouldn't believe how many high end cars are swapped for something else in as little as 6 months.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ditto on the Carfax. Not to be relied on. While I agree there are those that are willing to take a huge depreciation hit and trade cars after a few months on a whim, it does raise a flag and one should be sure there's not an underlying reason. It does happen - you can find some right here in the Audi Forums that dumped their car early because of service issues.

Quick Reply: Advice on a fully loaded A7 2012