A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel

My understanding is that the 2014 A7 will not be radically different from the 2013, except that a diesel version will be offered. Does anyone have an opinion on this future option? The diesel will be, in theory, more fuel efficient, but I'm not sure the increased price (?) will justify the expense.
Please let me know your thoughts on price, performance, efficiency etc. and whether it's worth the wait.
Thanks.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

You can find the 2014 order form if you search for it with all the options but no prices.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by billD
Please let me know your thoughts on price, performance, efficiency etc. and whether it's worth the wait.
Thanks.
I would expect the price to be close to the gas powered 3.0L V6 now offered.

The power is going to be plentiful. The 406 lb-ft of torque at 1700 rpm is equal to the 4.0L in the S7. It won't equal the 0-60 times but it's going to push you back in the seat and still deliver over 30 mpg. Six hundred miles on a tank of fuel isn't hard to take either.

This diesel is the second generation. It's lighter, it has 35 HP more (240 hp/406 lb-ft) and fuel consumption was reduced by 20%. It will be bolted to the new eight speed d tiptronic quattro drivetrain.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I would expect the price to be close to the gas powered 3.0L V6 now offered.

The power is going to be plentiful. The 406 lb-ft of torque at 1700 rpm is equal to the 4.0L in the S7. It won't equal the 0-60 times but it's going to push you back in the seat and still deliver over 30 mpg. Six hundred miles on a tank of fuel isn't hard to take either.

This diesel is the second generation. It's lighter, it has 35 HP more (240 hp/406 lb-ft) and fuel consumption was reduced by 20%. It will be bolted to the new eight speed d tiptronic quattro drivetrain.
I've driven that engine in an A6 in Germany with the 7-spd DSG and it was awesome. Terrific acceleration and 155 mph top speed.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billD
My understanding is that the 2014 A7 will not be radically different from the 2013, except that a diesel version will be offered. Does anyone have an opinion on this future option? The diesel will be, in theory, more fuel efficient, but I'm not sure the increased price (?) will justify the expense.
Thanks.
Sorry, was lurking here as we are considering the A7 to be our next car when we move home from England. I felt compelled to answer your question as I currently drive a 2006 allroad with the older 3.0 TDI and never, ever wish I had a different motor. (Single turbo and 35 pounds heavier and not as efficient as the one you would be getting)

There is no "in theory" about getting better gas mileage. You will get much better gas mileage. I consistently get low 30's around town and 45 mpg on the motorway at 70 mph. The new motor is even more efficient and lighter and you should see upper 40's to low 50's mpg on the open freeway and mid to upper 30's mpg in city traffic with a somewhat moderate foot. You will love the torque band and realize it is just as fast as the B7 S4's are which have plenty of scoot. I recently drove the 3.0T in the A7 here and when I compare it to the TDI...no comparison...diesel all the way. Plus, they way it pulls at low RPM's is amazing!

Once you drive a modern diesel like then new 3.0 TDI you will understand better what I am talking about. They really do pull like a V8 and have fuel economy of a 4 cyl.

As far as cost comparison...it all depends how long you keep the car and how many miles you are going to drive. Personally, the price difference is worth paying because in the end, it will be worth more money than it's petrol counterpart and really offer great driveability because all the torque is at the bottom end of the RPM range (Where most people drive their cars)

I hope this helps. When you get a chance to take one for a test drive you will be sold on what Europeans have known for quite some time.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It's all relative.. I drive a diesel A7 here in the UK, and yes on average I get 33mpg mixed driving, the cost of diesel is about 10p more than petrol. Add that to premium paid on a diesel and it real terms it's going to take **** load of mileage before I break even!.

Unless your towing a trailer or something, not sure why you would need more torque than horsepower!.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brickie
It's all relative.. I drive a diesel A7 here in the UK, and yes on average I get 33mpg mixed driving, the cost of diesel is about 10p more than petrol. Add that to premium paid on a diesel and it real terms it's going to take **** load of mileage before I break even!.

Unless your towing a trailer or something, not sure why you would need more torque than horsepower!.
Torque is what you feel ant low at mid RPMs. Horsepower only comes into play at high RPMs. As the old saying goes: "Most people buy horsepower but love torque."
Old 05-04-2013, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K2audi
Sorry, was lurking here as we are considering the A7 to be our next car when we move home from England. I felt compelled to answer your question as I currently drive a 2006 allroad with the older 3.0 TDI and never, ever wish I had a different motor. (Single turbo and 35 pounds heavier and not as efficient as the one you would be getting)

There is no "in theory" about getting better gas mileage. You will get much better gas mileage. I consistently get low 30's around town and 45 mpg on the motorway at 70 mph. The new motor is even more efficient and lighter and you should see upper 40's to low 50's mpg on the open freeway and mid to upper 30's mpg in city traffic with a somewhat moderate foot. You will love the torque band and realize it is just as fast as the B7 S4's are which have plenty of scoot. I recently drove the 3.0T in the A7 here and when I compare it to the TDI...no comparison...diesel all the way. Plus, they way it pulls at low RPM's is amazing!

Once you drive a modern diesel like then new 3.0 TDI you will understand better what I am talking about. They really do pull like a V8 and have fuel economy of a 4 cyl.

As far as cost comparison...it all depends how long you keep the car and how many miles you are going to drive. Personally, the price difference is worth paying because in the end, it will be worth more money than it's petrol counterpart and really offer great driveability because all the torque is at the bottom end of the RPM range (Where most people drive their cars)

I hope this helps. When you get a chance to take one for a test drive you will be sold on what Europeans have known for quite some time.
+1. I have the Q7 TDI and concur with your points. It is common for people to justify break even just on mileage alone. The break even analysis must include resale value. The resale on the TDI will nearly always be higher than gas models, usually at a level approaching the premium you pay up front (at least in the U.S.). And that is if you can find one for sale. Used TDI's are tough to come by in any model....people typically keep them for a long time. When it is time to sell, they go fast. Just something to consider.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Squalo
Torque is what you feel ant low at mid RPMs. Horsepower only comes into play at high RPMs. As the old saying goes: "Most people buy horsepower but love torque."
The cost difference between premium gas and diesel in the States isn't as far apart as here in England. You mentioned you are paying about 10p more for diesel. Remember, we pay per liter where it is per gallon in the States. When you do the conversion you will find the disparity here is much greater. Diesel is usually about 10 cents more per gallon in the States wher 10p per liter is almost 38p .more per US Gallon. Then do the conversion between pounds to dollars and you will see where it is about .60 cents more per Gallon in the UK.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Ah yes, I was quoting the price difference per litre but thinking about it though I assume diesel is cheaper than petrol/gas in the states given it's not as popular as it is in europe.

Quick Reply: Diesel