A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Do Audi LEDs do this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do Audi LEDs do this?

I just watched this video on Bimmerfest. Do the Audi LED headlights automatically split the beams based on both oncoming traffic and the cars traveling ahead of you?

Awesome feature

Old 05-29-2013, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow! Definitely looks cool. I hope Audi can bring this to the cars with a software update, if thats possible. I have Adaptive headlights, but they lower the beam on the driver side depending on GPS data (i think) or based on oncoming traffic. But it definitely does not do the stuff shown in the video.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, Audi can do this - in Europe and the rest of the world. As is noted here, North American lighting laws are so antiquated that this technology is not legal here.

Even the current LED headlights are capable of automatically changing the beam pattern, based on GPS inputs, to optimize the pattern for highways, intersections, city streets, etc. But, not for North American models.

Pity!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Yes, Audi can do this - in Europe and the rest of the world. As is noted here, North American lighting laws are so antiquated that this technology is not legal here.

Even the current LED headlights are capable of automatically changing the beam pattern, based on GPS inputs, to optimize the pattern for highways, intersections, city streets, etc. But, not for North American models.

Pity!
Yes, definitely a bummer we can't get the GPS controlled lights. It looks like the BMW is fundamentally different though - theirs seem to be based on radar (and possibly lighting sensitivity/awareness?) of other vehicles whereas I believe Audi's system is GPS dependent by road type, intersections, etc. Either way, as you pointed out, BMW might have the same issues as Audi offering this in the U.S.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

That music... lol.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have government officials still living with a 3rd world country mentality.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, Audi can do this - in Europe and the rest of the world.
Interesting - I didn't know this.

Here is a summary of automotive lighting technology from a USA article.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...nhtsa/1973737/
Old 05-30-2013, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Yes, definitely a bummer we can't get the GPS controlled lights. It looks like the BMW is fundamentally different though - theirs seem to be based on radar (and possibly lighting sensitivity/awareness?) of other vehicles whereas I believe Audi's system is GPS dependent by road type, intersections, etc. Either way, as you pointed out, BMW might have the same issues as Audi offering this in the U.S.
There are two distinct technologies, Snagitseven. The first is LED lighting, as we currently have here, that adapts the beam pattern to the terrain based on GPS inputs. With some software changes, this could conceivably be enabled on current North American vehicles. The second is Matrix Lighting, which uses cameras to separate the light beams so as to avoid blinding other drivers and pedestrians (very similar in concept, if not execution, to the BMW tech outlined in the above video). Matrix Lighting is brand new and will only be available to the rest of the world in future models.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s5blitzer
We have government officials still living with a 3rd world country mentality.
Is that why Washington has so much dung piled up everywhere? They haven't grasped the concept of plumbing????
Old 05-30-2013, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

There are two distinct technologies
I forgot about the new Matrix light tech from Audi. I wonder if it replaces the GPS based lighting or augments it. In any case, looks like we won't be able get either option here the U.S. in the foreseeable future. Maybe Canada will have more relaxed regs.

Quick Reply: Do Audi LEDs do this?