A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Does anyone else have issues with build quality??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 06:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone else have issues with build quality??

On a whim I traded my A6 in for a 2016 A7 Prestige. I have to say that I am very disappointed with the build quality. The car has been in the shop 4 times in the first 4,000 miles for noise coming from everywhere. There were loose nuts and bolts rolling around in the center console. The rear hatch had to be completely taken apart and they found a few nuts rolling around as well as things that weren't attached. The driver door panel was replace and now is squeaking in my ear again. I am feeling like I made a big mistake. I went as far as trying to trade the car on an A8 but didn't want to write a check for another $25,000. Even the service department is a little surprised. They call it the Friday afternoon car.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

My 2016 Audi A7 is silent as a tomb and I am very fussy and when I hear something I get annoyed but this car is very quiet and built well. I picked it up in March of 2016. My 2012 Audi A8L is silent too. The 2014 Audi A6 TDI we have has door rattles that we fixed.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Minoclan@verizon.net
On a whim I traded my A6 in for a 2016 A7 Prestige. I have to say that I am very disappointed with the build quality. The car has been in the shop 4 times in the first 4,000 miles for noise coming from everywhere. There were loose nuts and bolts rolling around in the center console. The rear hatch had to be completely taken apart and they found a few nuts rolling around as well as things that weren't attached. The driver door panel was replace and now is squeaking in my ear again. I am feeling like I made a big mistake. I went as far as trying to trade the car on an A8 but didn't want to write a check for another $25,000. Even the service department is a little surprised. They call it the Friday afternoon car.
This is definitely not typical of the Audi build quality. The only noise issue I ever had with the 6 Audis I owned so far was an intermittent rattle coming from the driver door. It was traced to a loose pin of the inside door handle. It was replaced, after which the noise has disappeared.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My 2016 A7 is very quiet. I've owned other Audis (see sig) and your experience is not representative of the A7 brand or Audi. Just let them get it fixed and enjoy the car.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2015 that had zero issues. My 2016 makes occasional popping noises coming from the passenger side door area, but I cannot figure out what it is. It does it maybe a couple of times everytime I drive the car, but it is so intermittent and impossible to duplicate that it's not even worth having the dealer try to figure it out. You can drive it for ten miles and it won't do it. I also get occasional pop or creaking noises from the dash, but that may only happen every few days or less.

I am not happy, but it's not bad enough to want to get rid of the car. I really think the harshness of the 20" tire package may contribute to it.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2014 A7 has annoying vibrations in the front dash. The service teams continue to try to address them to no avail. The car is going in for a 45k service and they have been working on it since the 5k service. The most annoying set of vibrations in any car that I have ever owned. Maybe they will resolve some of them next week.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

I've not had any real build quality issues with my 2014 A7. The few issues I've had have been resolved by my dealer.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had serious issues with rattles, squeaks and other sounds in my 14 A6 that I've been complaining about on this forum but finally attributed to it being an ex dealer loaner. Sounds like your car was brand new when you bought it and it definitely shouldn't have all those issues. Since then I traded up to a 16 S6 and it hasn't had any of the issues I had with the previous car. Depending on your state you can start looking into lemon law. I once returned a car that way, the process was lengthy and not something I recommend lightly but it's the only way to get out of it without taking a big financial hit.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is my 4th Audi, and by far the worst. The car was brand new with like 10 miles on it when I bought it. My diesel 535 Bmw is a tank and amazingly quiet. Like I said, this A7 was a mistake for me.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I had issue with build quality on my 2006 GS300 AWD dashboard rattle but the dealer fixed it in 1 service and had to padd the left side of the dashboard and reinstall it and the noise went away. The 2013 GS350 F-sport had popping from underbody and it was loose subframe and it was tightened and noise went away but that car I had to take it back 2x and duplicate the noise. With patient, Audi will fix all those noise but its a nuisance I know but if you can try to keep on them to fix the noise and show them and test drive car after they do the job to make sure before taking it home. That will keep them busy on the car until problem is resolved.

I had a 2012 BMW 535i Xdrive like you but it was the worst car and the biggest mistake for me. IT was a lemon. The car kept vibrating in the seats and chassis around 70-75 mph and the dealer tried new rims, tires, etc but couldnt fix it. I got rid of it in less than 10 months. I couldnt waste time with the lemon process.

Overall, this 2016 Audi A7 is amazing and built very well like my A8 and A6.

Quick Reply: Does anyone else have issues with build quality??