A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

FreedomPop service change

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default FreedomPop service change

I知 sure I知 not the only one who has received the email from FreedomPop announcing their migration of their global SIM service to an LTE-only option. Has anyone investigated this enough to confirm whether those of us with older model years/modems are as out of luck as it would appear?

I知 guessing Audi still isn稚 offering an upgrade path to an LTE modem, and the number of remaining 2G options seems to be dwindling rapidly. Anyone aware of any viable options or are our days of Google Maps and Audi Connect just about at an end?
Old 10-22-2018, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

My SIM stopped working a few weeks ago. I tried re-entering the APN info even rebooting the MMI with no luck. Time to investigate another option...

Here's a Sept 26th email they sent me
Old 10-22-2018, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yep, I got the same email. I'm giving US Mobile a try. Not quite free, but close enough - and they apparently use the T-Mobile 2/3G network, so I'm giving it a try. Sim arrived today, so I'll plug it in tomorrow and see how it goes.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

I popped in an old US Mobile SIM I had laying around after I logged into my account and reactivated it with a Data only plan @ $2/month + tax & a "service fee".
APN - pwg
User name - <single space>
Password - <blank>

and it fired right up. Google Maps allowed me to zoom right into my house. Kinda.
They offer a 300 mg/month plan for $5 but I'll wait and see how much data loading all these maps eats up.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for posting this. I've been wondering about these settings, so you've most likely saved me a fair amount of Googling. Much appreciated! Fingers crossed that this works for me later today when I get to plug in the SIM and fire it up.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Works like a charm! I just popped it in and it made a connection almost immediately - didn't even have to mess with the connection settings.

And yeah, ask me how much I'm NOT going to miss FreedomPop's\ "roaming" confirmation dialogue every time I start the car...
Old 10-23-2018, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

My SIM card works fine. I never got Roaming confirmation dialog either. Possibly because of when I signed up and what card I have.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same as davepjr71, my SIM still works with FreedomPop and I don't get the roaming config dialog either. But nice to know of another alternative!
Old 10-25-2018, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you've got a newer model year A7, you may be fine. As I understand it, the change FreedomPop made was to bump everybody over to their LTE network and discontinue their support of the option that uses the T-Mobile 2G/3G network. If you've got a 2016-ish or newer A7 (or thereabouts), you should have the modem hardware that supports LTE, so you should be good.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

I clicked the "Upgrade Now" link FP sent me and payed the whatever shipping fee. Popped it in with no success.
Well at least I now have an LTE SIM should my radio ever get upgraded.

Quick Reply: FreedomPop service change