A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Innovation package

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Innovation package

My wife and I are contemplating spending the extra $3900 for the Innovation package (we had already ordered the LED and side assist packages - $1900).

Our initial thoughts on the Innovation package were that we really wanted the LED's and the Side Assist (which works great). The other features in the packages were cool but we werent sure they were worth the money to us.

The adaptive cruise control isnt of much interest to us as my wife never uses CC and I can get by just fine with standard CC. Though the noticeably absent sensors (that look like foglights) had us torn.

The head up display is cool, though I found it mildly annoying during the demo. The night vision assist is a pretty cool feature though we dont have the ability to test it as we have day light till 9pm currently and the dealership isnt open past then.

To those that have the Innovation package...

-Do you feel the head up display and night vision are worth $3900 alone? (essentially the price difference between LED+Side assist pkgs which are $1900)

-Other than the current speed, what else does the head up display? I believe nav info - if so, what exactly is displayed when the navigation is in use? Is it just Nav text?

-I think the euro head up display also shows speed limits but I dont believe the US version does - pls confirm.

-The night vision assist, does it also capture infra-red heat from animals as well? (just curious)
Old 06-26-2011, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the Innovation Package. For me it was a must!

The HUD shows speed and navigation info, adaptive cruise control setting, pre-sense plus info. The nav section actually shows a schematic map and directional arrow. I absolutely love it. It can be adjusted for brightness and height on windscreen

No speed info in HUD - confirmed

Night vision also captures heat signature from animals, but doesn't detect them as they do with humans. People are individually highlighted in yellow on the display when detected and red, plus chime, when they walk into your path. It's pretty amazing. The system can easily track 10 individuals simultaneously.

I absolutely love the adaptive cruise control. Not so much for cruising on the highway, but rather in slow moving traffic.

Here's a pic of the HUD - US version doesn't have speed limit.
Attached Images  

Last edited by cbb09; 06-26-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

You are definitely paying for the cool factor. When I quickly approached another car from behind during the test drive, there was a visual cue letting me know. My current car beeps. Good enough for most people, but a pretty neat feature.

When the original shipment of A7's hit the dealer lots in April, I went on cars.com and checked how many of the vehicles had the Innovation package. It was only 5%.

But I am a James Bond fan, so I am getting it.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Innovation package on my Prestige Oolong gray car. I have to say I really like it. I thought I would turn off the HUD, but find I leave it on -- it allows me to see the speedometer at all times, even when I have other info in the display (the analog speedo is ok, but I guess I like to know my speed to the single mph).

Don't forget you get also the collision-warning pre-sense system, too.

I haven't seen it yet, but the manual indicated that a 'red' pedestrian (ie collision risk) will also show up in the HUD. I can see the deer in the night-vision system, but they are not tracked like pedestrians.

The ACC is amazing in stop and go traffic. A little eery at first, but makes highway driving much less work. I'm surprised how big a difference there is between it and the normal CC.

The A7 manual documents the Audi Lane Assist -- too bad it didn't get included in the Innovation package...
Old 06-27-2011, 04:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by muski
The A7 manual documents the Audi Lane Assist -- too bad it didn't get included in the Innovation package...
According to the Audi USA website, Side Assist is included in the Innovation Package. I wonder why yours didn't include it? From the website, A7 Options and Packages:

Innovation Package

This package includes available technologies to help keep you out of harm’s way, while increasing the comfort of your ride. Technologically advanced systems are included throughout as well. The adaptive cruise control system monitors distance to the vehicle in front via radar sensors and helps reduce speed, as well as resume speed to maintain the driver-selected safe distance. Audi side assist helps monitor blind spot areas and warns you via LED lights in the exterior mirrors when there are fast-approaching vehicles at a range of 150 ft. Finally, Audi pre sense plus monitors traffic on the road and activates alerts to notify the driver if a potential collision scenario is detected. The all-new Head Up display shows important driver information such as speed, navigation and adaptive cruise control. Night Vision Assistant can detect pedestrians approximately 1,000 ft. ahead. Once a pedestrian is registered, the system identifies them in yellow. If they move into the anticipated path of the A7, they are highlighted in red and accompanied by an acoustic warning. Also included are full LED headlights with LED daytime running lights.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My mistake - I see you said "Lane Assist".

Mike
Old 06-27-2011, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, kind of confusing names. Lane assist warns you when you are drifting out of your lane (and I believe will even correct the steering slightly). It's available in the US on the A8.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the input...

muski, lets get some pics of that Oolong Prestige!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the lane assist does correct the steering on the A6 and A7, on the A8 it only warns you (the 8 doesn't have electromechanical steering so does not currently support the corrective feature). It freakeed my wife out when we first tried it. As you'd expect, it's picky about the lines. If they are faded, it doesn't have a chance.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Lane Assist is not available in the US on the A6 or A7. Are you in the UK?