A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Locked my key in hatch - no warning!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked my key in hatch - no warning!

Just wanted to share one locking/security issue with the A7 hatch that seems like bad design...

The other day I had my car key in my gym bag, got out of the car with it and touched the door handle to lock up, opened the trunk and threw my gym bag in and closed the with the close button, and went into a store... I didn't realize what I did until I got back -- the car didn't alert me that I'd closed the key in the trunk, and the trunk just stayed unlocked for anyone to open up. Seems like it should warn me of my stupidity... I checked with dealer mechanic and he confirmed all A7's work that way.

Seems like they could have easily programmed it a triple chirp or something...
Old 09-26-2015, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I believe the only warning if the key is left inside is the car won't lock. So, no chirp.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I believe the only warning if the key is left inside is the car won't lock. So, no chirp.
There are actually a number of situations when the car simply will not lock, no chirp, no lights flashing, no other indication of a problem.

One of those situations is leaving the car in gear.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by fkaufman
There are actually a number of situations when the car simply will not lock, no chirp, no lights flashing, no other indication of a problem.

One of those situations is leaving the car in gear.
If you listen for the chirp and it does not happen, that should be a good warning. At least it is for me as I always listen for it when locking the car. I've even left the engine running in park and tried to lock it - no chirp lets me know I've screwed up.

BTW, I'm trying to figure out how to leave the car and try to lock it while it's still in gear without injury or damage. I don't think I'll try it though.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
If you listen for the chirp and it does not happen, that should be a good warning. At least it is for me as I always listen for it when locking the car. I've even left the engine running in park and tried to lock it - no chirp lets me know I've screwed up.

BTW, I'm trying to figure out how to leave the car and try to lock it while it's still in gear without injury or damage. I don't think I'll try it though.
The way I did it was pressing the start/stop button after stopping. It turns the engine off while the shifter is still in the D position.

My indication if the car is locked is the mirrors folding in.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So... technically you should be happy it didnt "lock" your keys in the trunk. I will tell you my car chirps when I lock my doors first then open the trunk to get something then close it. So by it not chirping when you shut the trunk should of told you something.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lx4life
So... technically you should be happy it didnt "lock" your keys in the trunk. I will tell you my car chirps when I lock my doors first then open the trunk to get something then close it. So by it not chirping when you shut the trunk should of told you something.
I'm not saying it should have locked, I'm just saying they should have made it more obvious. For keys in the car, the door not locking and mirrors not folding is quite obvious. But for keys in the trunk, if you've already heard the door chirp when you locked the door and the hatch closes when you push the button, having to listen for another chirp is not as obvious. Obviously now that I know this quirk I'll watch for it.

(BTW, if your key is in the trunk, the car will not start -- I tested that for kicks yesterday...)
Old 09-29-2015, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tman007
I'm not saying it should have locked, I'm just saying they should have made it more obvious..)
I agree. I also was surprised when the hatch "locked" with the key in the trunk. On my A5, the trunk would simply pop back open if the key was inside. A good PSA about the security aspect too...
Old 10-01-2015, 06:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

In the MMI you can set the hatch to remain unlocked when the car is not locked (no chirp); also vice-versa, leaving the hatch locked -- which I think most are talking about.

For instance I did something similar, leaving the keys in the hatch and when i tried to lock it, it just simply ignored me, no chirp, nothing that's when I opened the hatch and found my keys.

I guess there could be an indication, maybe the reverse lights flashing or something.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Alex
I agree. I also was surprised when the hatch "locked" with the key in the trunk. On my A5, the trunk would simply pop back open if the key was inside. A good PSA about the security aspect too...
To be correct, your hatch closed but did not lock!

Quick Reply: Locked my key in hatch - no warning!