A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Paint correction?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Paint correction?

I've got a black 2012 A7 and am beginning to contemplate attempting some basic paint correction to take care of a generous helping of swirls that the original owner was kind enough to inflict on the clear coat. I've only done a very little bit of this type of work on previous cars, so I'm more than slightly nervous and want to take every precaution with equipment, materials, technique, etc. I gather that the relative hardness of the paint/clear coat is a key consideration, so I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with this type of work and can speak to where the A7 falls on a relative hardness scale. I've heard that Audi paint often tends to be toward the hard end of the spectrum, but that there are exceptions. And if you've done this type of work on an A7, do you have any tips to share?

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2017, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Black is tough to perfect. What tools are you working with? What chems do you have?
Old 06-15-2017, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

If the swirls are minor on depth (looks like spider webbing) you can purchase a random orbital from Griots or Rupes). Random orbitals are not as brutal as a buffer that you have to worry about damaging the paint. Process is straight forward with wash --> Clay --> Polish --> Wax/Sealant. I do this twice a year on my black A7.

If the swirls are pretty bad I would look for a professional shop to do a Stage 2/3 Paint Correction. Let a professional get the paint back to like new and then you can maintain it from that point
Old 06-16-2017, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks. Like I said, I'm just beginning to scratch the surface (so to speak) on this, so I'll be selecting my tools and products accordingly. I'm planning on going with a good random orbital and the most gentle pad/compound/polish combination that will get the job done - hence my question about the hardness of Audi paint. I obviously want to minimize the risk of doing any damage, so I'll probably start with something minimally abrasive and just take lots and lots of time. Maybe work my way up to a slightly more aggressive combination as I build experience and technique.

In the absence of knowing anyone with this type of experience in my area, I've been watching hours of YouTube videos - primarily ones by Larry at AMMO NYC, as he seems to take the same kind of obsessive, perfectionistic approach that I tend to go for. Any other suggestions for where I can pick up tips on tools, techniques, etc.?
Old 06-16-2017, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by tcoble33
Thanks. Like I said, I'm just beginning to scratch the surface (so to speak) on this, so I'll be selecting my tools and products accordingly. I'm planning on going with a good random orbital and the most gentle pad/compound/polish combination that will get the job done - hence my question about the hardness of Audi paint. I obviously want to minimize the risk of doing any damage, so I'll probably start with something minimally abrasive and just take lots and lots of time. Maybe work my way up to a slightly more aggressive combination as I build experience and technique.

In the absence of knowing anyone with this type of experience in my area, I've been watching hours of YouTube videos - primarily ones by Larry at AMMO NYC, as he seems to take the same kind of obsessive, perfectionistic approach that I tend to go for. Any other suggestions for where I can pick up tips on tools, techniques, etc.?
Take the car to a few reputable paint shops for an estimate. Most of the time, the person will give fairly detailed explanation of what needs to be done and how it is to be done, to justify the expense. You can get even more details by asking questions like "Does it really need to be done this way?".