A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

SA: Audi A7 - 8 Speed Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SA: Audi A7 - 8 Speed Automatic

Hi guys! Hope you all are well.

I recently got an A7 2012 - Prestige package with an 8 Speed automatic gearbox. But i’ve been facing some issues with it. There have been some codes which kinda come and go and when the codes are present the car drives extremely weird or does not moves at all. If i shut off the car and start it again it drives fine and all gear shift fine.

I did change the selenoid underneath the car but that didn’t change anything. Nor did the connector had any water damage atleast from the looks of it. But the previous guy had taped the wire to it so and had grounded it to a bolt by cutting one of the wires maybe so i assume he already tried his luck then sold it off.

The workshop the car is at currently suggests we should change the clutches and i should order a rebuild kit online. Does anyone has any information about this issue?. I have attached the codes. P2755 is the code which usually comes first and stays for longer and does not reset when i try to through VCDS rest goes for a while comes back after sometime.

Now to the main second question. Is the 8 Speed automatic in A7 same as the 8 speed in A8? Because i cannot find any A7 with an 8 Speed around me so parts are extremely difficult to get even if have to replace the gear. The local mech said that A8 has the same gear as this A7. Does anyone have this technical information? Because i can easily find an A8 with an 8 Speed but A7 with an 8 Speed seems just like a dream for now. I assume its also called ZF 8HP 55

I personally feel its an electrical issue somewhere but i’m by no means an expert. If someone can tell me that they both share the same gears it’ll make my life a heck lot easier

THANKYOU GUYS!!
Old 02-03-2022, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hey! I'm having a ver similar issue to you, P2701, and incorrect gear ratio, when I go to take off it switches into 3rd then 6th right when I put it into drive, Did you ever find a fix for the issue? I also have a suspicion that there is something wrong with the Tronics system.
Old 02-04-2022, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SMILEYF4CE
Hey! I'm having a ver similar issue to you, P2701, and incorrect gear ratio, when I go to take off it switches into 3rd then 6th right when I put it into drive, Did you ever find a fix for the issue? I also have a suspicion that there is something wrong with the Tronics system.
Hi yes! I swapped my clutches they were bad. Unfortunately you do have to take off your gearbox in order to examine whats wrong. Lucky for me my friend owns a workshop so we were able to do it rather quickly.

Also clutches are extremely cheap to swap out max out 200$ all clutches. Give your valve body a good clean and you’re good to go!

If your car does not moves at all like not even a bit that means you’re transmission ecu is having some issues. Easier to swap out.
Old 02-04-2022, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Aleemzee
Hi yes! I swapped my clutches they were bad. Unfortunately you do have to take off your gearbox in order to examine whats wrong. Lucky for me my friend owns a workshop so we were able to do it rather quickly.

Also clutches are extremely cheap to swap out max out 200$ all clutches. Give your valve body a good clean and you’re good to go!

If your car does not moves at all like not even a bit that means you’re transmission ecu is having some issues. Easier to swap out.
Awesome, Thanks for the Information! This specific car is a 2013 Audi A7 Premium Plus with 130k. The fluid was really dirty and I was aware of this before I brought it to Audi (They charged me $500 for a diag that my $20 scanner pulled, and they claimed they refilled the transmission with 2 quarts of fluid, even though the guy only pulled a small sample from the trans) After that they quoted me a $20,000 to replace the transmission! I'm assuming it's the Mechatronics considering the weird shifting, When it's in doing its weird ****ing action I cant manually downshift, I can also feel the transmission biting, there's no movement though due to the low torque. I noticed for replacement parts I could only find the mechatronics attached to the valve body (Part #: 4G1927158A) Only $350 though so it's not a huge deal. Maybe I am missing something though? I'm going to keep looking. Thanks again!
Old 02-04-2022, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I meant shifting* where it censored out the word lol.
Old 02-04-2022, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Awesome, Thanks for the Information! This specific car is a 2013 Audi A7 Premium Plus with 130k. The fluid was really dirty and I was aware of this before I brought it to Audi (They charged me $500 for a diag that my $20 scanner pulled, and they claimed they refilled the transmission with 2 quarts of fluid, even though the guy only pulled a small sample from the trans) After that they quoted me a $20,000 to replace the transmission! I'm assuming it's the Mechatronics considering the weird shifting, When it's in doing its weird ****ing action I cant manually downshift, I can also feel the transmission biting, there's no movement though due to the low torque. I noticed for replacement parts I could only find the mechatronics attached to the valve body (Part #: 4G1927158A) Only $350 though so it's not a huge deal. Maybe I am missing something though? I'm going to keep looking. Thanks again!
Yes it’s called mechatronic it’s attached to the valve body. It could be either of those it’s an easy swap if mechatronic does not help then you gotta change your clutch pack. Overall the parts are not expensive it’s just labor intensive as they call. If you can get the gear out it’s relatively an easy job but yes everyone charges heck a lot for it.

But if you had codes similar to mine then i can tell changing mechatronic won’t help the cause and if the fluid was bad changing it might’ve caused more damage. Clutches are your best bet as far as i think
Old 02-04-2022, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

I meant shifting* where it censored out the word lol.
Also from my experience. These issues are extremely common with audi gearboxes. I’ve had countless issues with them in the past and have seen a lot of cars with this issue too
Old 02-09-2022, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Aleemzee
Also from my experience. These issues are extremely common with audi gearboxes. I’ve had countless issues with them in the past and have seen a lot of cars with this issue too

Sorry for the late response also sorry in advance for the long explanation.

As of right now I ordered the valve body, I'm trying to avoid going for removal of the transmission as I know it will be very expensive(but know it will probably have to happen). What's confusing is the codes I'm getting are (P2701 Transmission Friction Element B Apply Time Range/Performance), (P0730 Incorrect Gear Ratio) and the final one being (P0337 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Low Input) but the sensor is good and the voltages are correct. Also the engine idles and revs fine(but is in limp mode). So to me that means that something is wrong with the tcm not doing its job. Maybe its sending bad data causing these codes, Especially how it's shifts up for no reason when put into drive and let your foot off the brake.

At the same time, based off common symptoms of P2701 dirty fluid causing damage, and let me tell you, this stuff is not see through and is very brown and what possibly seems like a water layer floating at the top, I'm not sure though, (I'll post a picuture of it) I'm not sure what to think.

The other thing I forgot to mention in this specific post is when I bought the Audi, it drove itself on and off a trailer perfectly fine! The seller stated it would throw a code every once and a while where the car would "throw itself into neutral"(this is not the case, its actually the car shifting up super quickly for no reason) but when clearing the code it would work perfectly fine again, I had this happen to me 2 times while fixing some other things in the car, after the 3rd time though it will no longer move and has the weird shifting action when starting from a stop.That specific reasoning seems like a transmission speed sensor is sending bad data attempting to shift up, but on the other hand, that also seems like maybe the clutch was at the end of its life time and is now just has no more material to grip, but why would it just shift up for no reason if the clutch isnt gripping? Let your foot of the brake, it throws the warning and then attempts to shift up even though the transmission wouldn't be moving? I have no idea. The fluid being so dirty is what's throwing me for a loop.

For my own sanity check im going to remove the mechatronic and take a look at it. After that, if there's no obvious sign I'll probably just to take to a shop and have them take a look. I'm not sure who can reprogram a TCM though If it ends up being that.
Old 02-09-2022, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

This is what it looks like... extremely dirty, definitely was not maintained correctly.
Old 02-09-2022, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry for the late response also sorry in advance for the long explanation.

As of right now I ordered the valve body, I'm trying to avoid going for removal of the transmission as I know it will be very expensive(but know it will probably have to happen). What's confusing is the codes I'm getting are (P2701 Transmission Friction Element B Apply Time Range/Performance), (P0730 Incorrect Gear Ratio) and the final one being (P0337 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Low Input) but the sensor is good and the voltages are correct. Also the engine idles and revs fine(but is in limp mode). So to me that means that something is wrong with the tcm not doing its job. Maybe its sending bad data causing these codes, Especially how it's shifts up for no reason when put into drive and let your foot off the brake.

At the same time, based off common symptoms of P2701 dirty fluid causing damage, and let me tell you, this stuff is not see through and is very brown and what possibly seems like a water layer floating at the top, I'm not sure though, (I'll post a picuture of it) I'm not sure what to think.

The other thing I forgot to mention in this specific post is when I bought the Audi, it drove itself on and off a trailer perfectly fine! The seller stated it would throw a code every once and a while where the car would "throw itself into neutral"(this is not the case, its actually the car shifting up super quickly for no reason) but when clearing the code it would work perfectly fine again, I had this happen to me 2 times while fixing some other things in the car, after the 3rd time though it will no longer move and has the weird shifting action when starting from a stop.That specific reasoning seems like a transmission speed sensor is sending bad data attempting to shift up, but on the other hand, that also seems like maybe the clutch was at the end of its life time and is now just has no more material to grip, but why would it just shift up for no reason if the clutch isnt gripping? Let your foot of the brake, it throws the warning and then attempts to shift up even though the transmission wouldn't be moving? I have no idea. The fluid being so dirty is what's throwing me for a loop.

For my own sanity check im going to remove the mechatronic and take a look at it. After that, if there's no obvious sign I'll probably just to take to a shop and have them take a look. I'm not sure who can reprogram a TCM though If it ends up being that.
Valve body rarely gets bad and you can easily open it order the correct gasket for it clean it all up and put it back together.

Your best bet would’ve been mechatronic instead of a valve body. Also most of the times what i’ve seen is that the codes in the transmission don’t really reflect what’s actually wrong & in most cases it’s either the clutches or the mechatronic whenever you get such codes.

Also your oil looks bad. By any chance have you noticed if your oil cooler for the trans has not leaked?

Quick Reply: SA: Audi A7 - 8 Speed Automatic