A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Audi A7 usb port damaged 3 phones?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A7 usb port damaged 3 phones?

Hello,
I have a 2017 Audi A7. I tried using android auto with the usb port in the center console. I used 2 different usb c cables for my galaxy phones and i dont know if this is even possible but can the usb port in the middle console damage the charging port on the phone itself?
I am asking because i just replaced 3 galaxy phones in a matter of 2 weeks, 1st my s8 was charging and in perfect condition until i plugged it into the usb port in the audi , after a few times later my phone would no longer fast charge so i thought maybe my phone is going bad,
so i went and upgraded to a galaxy s9 , but after a few times of using android auto my brand new 5 day old phone starting complaining of moisture being detected in the port, and my phone was no where near water and this happened when i plugged it into the car, anyway i got
that phone replaced under warranty and sure enough again when i plugged in the new phone to the usb port in the car with the original cable same thing happened to my brand new 2 day old phone.
is this even possible? or am i just so unlucky that i got 3 bad phones in a row?
I just got my phone replaced again and im scared to use android auto or even plug in the phone in the car.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a 2016 Audi A7 and the new Note 8 for past 1 year and no issues with charging ports on the car. I would use Samsung Cables only but since u are not using the samsung wall adapter, fast charging wont WORK! You can only fast change inside the house or to a wall port, not the car. My phone never fast charges in car but works elsewhere. The new USB C should be alot easier to plug in and should not have issues with damaging the port. Dont jam the phone into the port obviously. I think you just got unlucky. Its rare to hear this. I had Note 4 and 5 before for years no issues with charging ports.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Baloo588
I have a 2016 Audi A7 and the new Note 8 for past 1 year and no issues with charging ports on the car. I would use Samsung Cables only but since u are not using the samsung wall adapter, fast charging wont WORK! You can only fast change inside the house or to a wall port, not the car. My phone never fast charges in car but works elsewhere. The new USB C should be alot easier to plug in and should not have issues with damaging the port. Dont jam the phone into the port obviously. I think you just got unlucky. Its rare to hear this. I had Note 4 and 5 before for years no issues with charging ports.
Thank you for your feeback, What i have noticed is that if its not a good connection android auto wont even pop up on the car but the phone is charging then suddenly android auto pops up on the MMI.
the only reason why i even suspect the car usb port is since i tried it with 2 different cables and 3 phones.
I was just wondering if its even technically possible for the car usb port to send too much voltage or something and damage the charging port on the phone itself.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by vick sarkis
Thank you for your feeback, What i have noticed is that if its not a good connection android auto wont even pop up on the car but the phone is charging then suddenly android auto pops up on the MMI.
the only reason why i even suspect the car usb port is since i tried it with 2 different cables and 3 phones.
I was just wondering if its even technically possible for the car usb port to send too much voltage or something and damage the charging port on the phone itself.
No problem. No I highly doubt that the case as the USB ports are used by many car companies from similar supplier. I would stick with Samsung USB-C cables only and go to android auto settings to allow it to pop up automatically when you connect it to car without asking you.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by vick sarkis
The cable supposed to provide the correct regulated +5V to the appropriate pins of the phone. This cable relies on the USB jack it is plugged into (i.e. the USB connectors of the car) to supply the appropriate voltage, it has no voltage conversion or regulation function built in.

So if there is a defect in the vehicle circuitry that converts the +12V battery voltage to +5V in the USB jack (and most of the time that means you have a voltage anywhere between 0 and 12 Volts instead of +5V) an over-voltage can create all sorts of problems with the phone, likely creating permanent damage.

Get the voltage level in the USB ports checked! It is an easy enough procedure, requiring only a break-out cable and a voltmeter.

Last edited by fkaufman; 09-16-2018 at 06:37 PM.