A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Speaking of fuel...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaking of fuel...

Does anyone else feel ripped off when filling at a pump that shares the same hose nozzle for all fuel grades? If you are paying for the highest grade of fuel, there is a good chance the person before you bought the lower grade, which is probably still in the hose. You pay for the higher grade but part of your purchase is a lower grade.
As Peter Griffin would say, "it grinds my gears."
Old 06-10-2013, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

With the high cost of gas these days, I drain that thing to the last drop before I replace the hose on the pump - no one gets any of my premium purchase. I suspect others may be doing the same more than ever before. In any case, if not drained, whatever extra remained in the hose when you fill up would be a freebie anyway as it already registered on the pump's meter from the previous purchaser.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
With the high cost of gas these days, I drain that thing to the last drop before I replace the hose on the pump - no one gets any of my premium purchase. I suspect others may be doing the same more than ever before. In any case, if not drained, whatever extra remained in the hose when you fill up would be a freebie anyway as it already registered on the pump's meter from the previous purchaser.
I think we are talking about a grain of sand in the beach of life....
Old 06-10-2013, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemdd
I think we are talking about a grain of sand in the beach of life....
To put a number to it, less than 1% of a 16 gallon fill up could be left in the hose and it's a bonus.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Mixed up...

You'll find most stations have two under ground storage tanks (USTs) from which the fuel is mixed to get the three grades. If you ever notice the hose is also suspended which allows fuel to gravity drain back into the USTs after fueling. There is negligible impact on your fuel purchase from this setup.

For me, I check the pump calibration by looking to see how many gallons are pumped at $10, and how many gallons it takes to fill the tank given the gas guage reading.

I believe my A7 has a 19 gallon tank. If I ever pump greater than 20 gallons, there is likely a problem.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

So I did the math, based on a 10ft 3/8" ID hose, there would only be just over 7 oz of fuel in the line. I feel less ripped off now so 1/2 a percent on a 10 gallon fill up.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostedws6
So I did the math, based on a 10ft 3/8" ID hose, there would only be just over 7 oz of fuel in the line. I feel less ripped off now so 1/2 a percent on a 10 gallon fill up.
So .. you feel ripped off because perhaps you got about 1.5 or 2 cents less than you paid for (with absolutely no adverse effect on your car)??
Old 06-10-2013, 06:18 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really do not want to see your toothpaste, ketchup, mustard, mayo, and jelly containers.
I cant imagine how hard they will be squeezed or scraped out with knifes (or maybe tongues)

But for those stressful moments there is a solution (at least for the ketchup)

http://www.psfk.com/2012/05/ketchup-bottle-coating.html
Old 06-11-2013, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If the station owner is not looking, I siphon every last drop of premium gas left in the hose. Or drive my diesel which is 35-40 cents less expensive and gets better mileage.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by perlfather
So .. you feel ripped off because perhaps you got about 1.5 or 2 cents less than you paid for (with absolutely no adverse effect on your car)??
Lets change the perspective a little. A $70,000 car missing a $500 option, but you still paying for it, that would be a big deal, right? This is the same thing, but on a smaller scale, so you never really notice it, so it is okay. I recognize the shell game and it is aggregating. I don't like paying for something I didn't receive.

Quick Reply: Speaking of fuel...