A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Ventilated seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 07:03 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ventilated seats

So today it was pretty hot, so my wife used a feature she has never tried before, the ventilated seats, after going to the mall I noticed her side was off, I asked her why she turned it off and she didn't , I checked if maybe the passenger ventilated seat turns off automatically after turning off the engine and no, it was still on, so I turned it on again, after going to another grocery shopping stop her side was off again after restarting.
Is this something normal? That the passenger ventilation seat is deactivated after a long stop? Not a brief one? (Because that is something that MIGHT be normal due to there is not always a passenger and I do not think the ventilation would turn off by itself while running)

Last edited by feralc; 08-16-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

What you are seeing with the passenger side ventilated seat setting is as designed - mine works the same way. I guess Audi doesn't want the passenger side running in an empty seat. The driver side stays where set indefinitely as I presume the driver would notice it every time the car is started. Or perhaps if the fan was running constantly without someone's butt on the seat, it could cause an operating problem of some sort. Only the official Audi Chief Ventilation Seat Engineer-in-charge would know.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It works that way because of the seat occupant sensor. Driver is by default always occupying the seat and there is no such sensor present, but for the passenger we have a sensor which detects if his seat is occupied or not.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DenissM
It works that way because of the seat occupant sensor. Driver is by default always occupying the seat and there is no such sensor present, but for the passenger we have a sensor which detects if his seat is occupied or not.
But my wife was in the car every time we restarted the car.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by feralc
US spec cars are designed to sense the average US spec woman...yours doesn't weigh the requisite 200 lbs.

Jkjkjk. Couldn't resist
Old 08-17-2013, 03:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Deekity
US spec cars are designed to sense the average US spec woman...yours doesn't weigh the requisite 200 lbs.

Jkjkjk. Couldn't resist
ha! good one!
Old 08-17-2013, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

There is no passenger seat memory for seat heating/cooling on my U.S. 2012.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deekity

Jkjkjk. Couldn't resist
Hahahahahaha
Old 08-17-2013, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by feralc
Correct. It has nothing to do with a sensor in the passenger seat. After a time that the car is turned off, the right hand ventilation defaults to off, with or without a passenger in the seat when the car is restarted.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've have several car with heated seats, but this is my one with ventilated seats. I'm surprised at how loud they are! (Sorry, I couldn't think of a smooth way to not end that sentence with a preposition.) A friend of mine used to have a Cadillac with them, and I remember them being practically silent. Were you surprised by the noise?

Quick Reply: Ventilated seats