A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a8 vs a6

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a8 vs a6

I'm in a bit of a situation here. My dad works at an auction where he can get cars fairly cheap and I have finally narrowed it down that I either want an 02 or 03 a8l or an 03-04 a6 2.7t. Two summers ago I had a 1997 Audi a6 quattro which I loved, unfortunately I was about to leave for college and was losing my license so we decided to sell it for financial purposes. Pretty much, I can't decide whether I want the a8l or the a6 2.7t. Can anyone help me by giving information about both that might help me decide. I love both sport and luxury which I realize they're both pretty luxurious however the a6 is more sportier. I'm into speed, modifications, etc. SOMEONE HELP!!! V8 a8 OR 2.7T a6!?!?!
Old 01-17-2012, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

the a8 won't be able to be modded for more power unless you want to spend a ton of cash...

If you want easy mods (chip, etc) for with a 2.7t a6.

I love my 2001 A8L, but if I were you I would drive both first

-Richard
Old 01-17-2012, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Like Richard said, drive both if you haven't. If you have, you should have noticed a radical difference...in feel and quality. The A8 aluminum space-frame makes it handle and feel totally unique...even among other Audi's.

Engines: The A8's 4.2 V8 is pretty bulletproof compared to a more problem prone twin turbo V6 ...the V8 is way torquier and way more hp than the 2.7T ...310hp compared to 250.

A6 or A8 is not a choice...unrelated. People buy A8's because they want an A8...not because it "edged" out an A6.

I own both...an '01 A8 SWB (Standard or "short" wheel base, like an S8..."L" is heavier, a hair slower...just a longer backseat floor) and an '03 2.7T...NO comparison...A8 WAY tighter, quieter, faster & better handling. A6 is cheaper materials in general, with common interior squeaks and rattles which are 99% non-existent in the A8.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The A6 is Ok if you can find one with a manual transmission and sport seats otherwise it’s the most boring car in the world.

The A8 only looks like an A6. It’s built to a much higher standard for more demanding people. The V8 is very nice and the handling is surprising for such a large car. It is more of a commitment though: It’s more expensive to maintain ( The transmission is a 5K repair on high mileage cars ) and more difficult to sell ( people are afraid of it ) but it’s an exclusive car and you will rarely see another one on the road.

I would get the SWB unless you are carrying passenger. In fact I would get an S8 because they will turn collectable very soon.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default A6 vs A8

Decision depends on your needs....

I have an A6 2.7T-6 speed with a GIAC ecu upgrade (85hp), bilsteins and H&R springs: added RS6 wheels and am doing a brake upgrade right now

This car is stunning: fast, great handling, looks amazing and with sport seats, is very comfortable to drive and looks super-sporty. There is NOTHING boring about this car and its my 15th Audi Quattro.

The A8 is larger, heavier, un sporty and the transmission(auto only) is extremly expensive to repairs and is a common issue. Upgrades are few and it will never have a sports car feel to it.
The S8 is many of those things but can be very expensive to insure but they can be had for $8-9K while the A6 cars are $3-4K less....

I would NOT trade my car for an A8 but might consider an S8, if I wanted to drive a big fast automatic.....
Old 01-20-2012, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Like I've stated, one buys an A8 because they want an A8...not as an alternate choice to an A6. One buys an A6 because they want an A6.

Same year A6 sedan, with auto trans, is only about 140 lbs light than an A8 SWB...one lightweight passenger. My A6 Allroad outweighs my A8 SWB by 200 lbs.

What you can NOT get in ANY A6, with ANY degree of modification, is the MUCH more rigid aluminum space frame...infinitely stronger and more responsive than the steel uni-body of the A6...NO comparison. The A8 is aluminum, not just to save weight, but to facilitate an actual monocoque frame, which is way thicker metal and MUCH more stiffening bracing incorporated. Add stiffer suspension to that and lose modified A6's in the corners...easily.

Drive both and you'll feel what I mean. An unmodified A6 feels floaty and much heavier in handling than the same year (or even older) A8...not to mention all the cracking, splitting, cheap plastic parts in the A6's interior, singing a symphony of cheapness as it ages.

To each their own priorities to satisfy.

Peace

Last edited by silverd2; 01-20-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok, these comments about A6 buyers not being the same as A8 buyers has compelled me to enter the discussion!

I also had a '97 A6. A very nice-sized German 4WD Luxury Sedan. Loved it. Steered both of my kids to buy one for their first car. Yes, we're an Audi family. Drove mine until it had 212K miles on it, at which point the pearl white exterior was still gorgeous but thr beige interior was looking a little rough and I was ready for an upgrade. Started doing research.

I learned that A6s between 1998 and 2004 were simply not reliable. So I started looking at the newer A6s. They had shrunk! I like a big sedan with a comfortable backseat and trunk, and the newer A6s were not going to make the grade. Plus, I don't like the exterior styling - they look too much like Hondas for my taste. Visibility out of the newer A8s was ridiculous, that slick roofline meant a gigantic blindspot, to this driver not acceptable.

That's when I started looking at the D2 series A8 and S8. Found they were extremely reliable. I found a black/black S8 someone had traded in, one owner, clean Carfax, 69K miles, and I could not be more thrilled. What a fantastic driving experience. I will never drive anything else, except my Karmann Ghia in the summer.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 01' allroad 2.7t and an 01' S8. I love the allroad for it's practicality and the 2.7t is a sweet engine, but there is no comparison. At today's price they are the same price and the A/S8 was twice the price of the A6 2.7t new.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks everyone. Price is pretty much all the same to me around 5-7k being that my dad works at an auction. I was just curious for some input thanks to all
Old 01-29-2012, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the price is the same, get the S8/A8.

If you can find one, the more loaded with content, the better the long term results will be in my experience. (The Alcantera headliner/leather trim door panels for example do not make noise like the plastic only ones do as they age.)