A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a/c diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c diagnostics

The a/c in my 97 A8 hasn't worked in the 2.5 years I've owned it. While I've gotten accustomed to the windows down, on muggy/rainy days it sure would be nice if it worked.

I have checked the pressure in the a/c system and it is in the "green" zone and had plenty of pressure before I tried to recharge the system. Obviously a set of professional gauges giving me a pressure reading would be better, but I don't have them at my disposal.

I have checked the condenser fan and it does turn on when I hit the "auto" button on the HVAC control head. After hitting auto I hear the relay click and can see the rpm gauge fluctuate as the compressor kicks on and I can hear the typical "wooshhhh - shhhhhh" sound in the cabin like the a/c is working but only ambient air comes through the vents.

I've used the VAG-com software to scan for fault codes in the HVAC module but none were found. I tried looking at the metering blocks but I really don't know what I'm looking for there. Most of the blocks don't have any units listed and I'm not sure which ones go to which.

On a side note, one fault code I did find was 17087-brake switch P0703. I guess I will need to replace the brake switch. I've also never had cruise control, could the brake switch fault cause the cruise to be inop? The cruise control switch is new (headlights stopped working), but I still need to check the vacuum lines and the module for the re-solder trick.

Thanks for any advice in advance.