A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight position sensors...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight position sensors...

after searching (yes) for the last few days to find out as much as i could about these little ponies, i could not find any testing info.

from my understanding of electronics, it is most likely that they are simply reostats, and the computer is looking for a certain resistance.

presumably, if when tested with an ohm meter it shows an open, that's the bad sensor.

next question (actually more of a question, than the previous), does anybody have a good line on replacements for those? SHOKAN wants damn near what i can buy them for new...which is a bit disappointing.

thanks gang!
Old 12-12-2011, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Shokan is always a last resort...a bit greedy for stripped parts.

Didn't see it listed at Carparts.com...usually a good (well priced) source for used and alternate manufacturer parts.

Part # 4B0 907 503

This all I came up with:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HEADLIGH...item53e98f118f
Old 12-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thank you very much!

...i found that out when i called about this part...they seemed pretty proud of 'em. i was told "we sell a lot of 'em, so the must be priced right."

too bad there are more people out there with more money than branes. i guess they keep some people employed!

you da man, thanks again!

...is there one sensor that is prone to failing more often than another - front/rear? car has 137k on 'er...
Old 12-12-2011, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by believer007
thank you very much!

...i found that out when i called about this part...they seemed pretty proud of 'em. i was told "we sell a lot of 'em, so the must be priced right."

too bad there are more people out there with more money than branes. i guess they keep some people employed!

you da man, thanks again!

...is there one sensor that is prone to failing more often than another - front/rear? car has 137k on 'er...
I have an '01 A8 SWB and both are still workin, so I don't know. As far as I remember, you're the first I've seen inquire about them.
I would actually expect them to be prone to failure due to their location and the work out they get.
Glad to help.
Cheers
Old 12-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

well, i'll test them with a DMM and post my findings...perhaps it will help out the next little pony that comes along.

i DID find the tranny service tutorials MOST helpful, by the way. i found that the filter was the original, date stamped june of 2000. the pan gasket was leaking, that's why i went ahead and made the change (it was shifting fine). i did not trim the pick up .5", but i did trim a 45 degree bevel with a dremel about .25" up on the leeward side...filled with redline...oooooh does it shift nice now!
Old 12-23-2011, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by believer007
after searching (yes) for the last few days to find out as much as i could about these little ponies, i could not find any testing info.

from my understanding of electronics, it is most likely that they are simply reostats, and the computer is looking for a certain resistance.

presumably, if when tested with an ohm meter it shows an open, that's the bad sensor.

next question (actually more of a question, than the previous), does anybody have a good line on replacements for those? SHOKAN wants damn near what i can buy them for new...which is a bit disappointing.

thanks gang!
I have a couple sensors left over from when I was fixing the leveling system in my S8, could sell them to ya if you're having a hard time finding a set