A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002

Help needed

Old 04-24-2019, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed

Hi guys, I got some trouble to figure out where is the cause of the problem on my A8. First few months back, something happened that my front left side braked when I was doing a left turn, it felt like that it fell on the wheel, never experienced that before, unpleasant shake , noise..., I decided to change the whole front control arms, it was not the problem... later I noticed the security ring on the left CV joint took a hit when it first happened, it didnt hold at all, I changed the CV joint, also not the cause. there is no visible cause on the axle at all. The car makes this when I accelerate (slowly), it brakes me, with this shaking disturbing noise, but then it runs great, it shifts smoothly, reverses.Sometime I didnt want to change from 1st gear to 2nd, in this loud noise And when I take a slow left or right turn, when, I am braking in the curve ( also slowly ) it feels that the car wants to go, like the wheels are slipping, its not ABS but it feels like that, you can feel it on the brake pedal. A transmittion vag code is showing 17087 (momentum converter??? not in english) I changed alson ATF and filter. I dont know where too look... if its the transmission???
Any advice here is very appreciated, thank you!
Old 04-29-2019, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Bad brake switch

I would check that first.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I did, I changed it myself, nothing happened (only my back hurt , It was a quite a mystery, because I changed the control arms about 1000miles ago, and the ones which control the steering were damaged, and one loosen bolt. The 4th mechanic discovered that,he couldnt align the wheels it was new and already damaged, that was the scary noise and braking by itself, next time I check better also the new parts...
Old 05-01-2019, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Does it feel like the ABS is activating? I would check the wheel bearings on that wheel and the ABS sensor. I'm thinking when you turn and load the wheel sideways it causes a misalignment between the CV joint tone ring and the abs sensor, so the ABS system thinks that wheel is locked up and begins pulsating. Maybe replace the ABS sensor on that wheel? Is that what you already changed?

The other thought is that the arms or axle are the wrong length and it is straining beyond it's range when you make a turn, but the problem started before you started changing parts, right?
Old 05-02-2019, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi Brian, good thoughts. The bearings are OK, CV joints OK, no the ABS is not activating, but you can feel on the brake pedal similar pulsating to ABS, the control light doesnt light up. I will chceck the sensor just in case. Yes before I changed the control arms it happend once, on the left side only, after change both sides frequently, but not immediately, it was quiet for a while, then it started heavy. I bought new upper control arms, I will change that and make an alignment
Old 05-02-2019, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would check your fluid level on the transmission and also check your abs wheel speed in vagcom to see what's going on when this issue occurs.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Transmission oil changed with filter 4 months ago, no leak. Today been installed new tie rod ends (the ones before had 1000miles on, and damaged), new allignment. The car feels better, problem not fixed. Even the alignment was done, the steering wheel doesnt return without me turning it back (gently), if Im going into a sharp curve slowly. I got a hint to check the ovality of the brakes ???
Old 05-06-2019, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I checked and replaced the ABS sensor on the wheel, it was evident the sensor was stuck too deep into the wheel, a small layer of the sensor was peeled, but no control light was showing at all. After the long search, now the car runs great again, thank you all for the help, Good to have you here