A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: Thinking about buying 2000 A8 with slipping tranny

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought: 2000 Audi A8

Hello,

I was looking for some help to decide if I should buy this car from a local dealer

2000 Audi A8
Only 63,000 miles
Exterior is great
Interior is great
bad title

Local dealer says:
- Tranny slips in 1st gear but the car is fully drivable. Dealer says he is selling at wholesale price.

Asking price is $ 3,800. Maybe due to bad title I can talk dealer in under $3k

Is it worth it? I have a local shop that specializes in bmw/audi and does great work so at least I know where and who is going to repair it.

Last edited by maximumsp; 09-24-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why does it have the bad title? Salvage from a flood? There MIGHT be other issues.

You could run it down to Chicago and have Tozo turn it into a manual tranny.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson
Why does it have the bad title? Salvage from a flood? There MIGHT be other issues.

You could run it down to Chicago and have Tozo turn it into a manual tranny.
Rear end accident. Air bags didnt deploy. No frame damage
Old 08-31-2013, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you sure it is slipping only in 1st gear...or is what they telling you about it?

From what I understand, slipping in 1st only is not a common failure, but slipping in all gears is...or just in 4th and 5th.

Has there been a VagCom run on the trans for specific codes?

Has the trans ATF level been checked correctly?
Old 08-31-2013, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by maximumsp
Dealer says he is selling at wholesale price.

Asking price is $ 3,800. Maybe due to bad title I can talk dealer in under $3k

Is it worth it? I have a local shop that specializes in bmw/audi and does great work so at least I know where and who is going to repair it.
A quote I saw on another Audi forum that applies here: "Show me a cheap Audi and I'll show you an expensive Audi".

It has been in an accident and has a questionable transmission. I would run from that car if I were you.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rear end accident. Air bags didnt deploy. No frame damage
Patching up aluminum is VERY expensive if done correctly. So I'd guess the "bad" title means a salvage title because the insurance company decided to pay rather than repair. If it's been "fixed", who knows how well.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson
Patching up aluminum is VERY expensive if done correctly. So I'd guess the "bad" title means a salvage title because the insurance company decided to pay rather than repair. If it's been "fixed", who knows how well.
So here is the deal. The dealer made a mistake. It is a clean title. Not a bad title. This was due to a accident reported in 2004 from another state that has a very goofy reporting (Iowa). Carfax and auto check confirms this.

The dealer lowered the asking price due to the confusion and wanting to unload the car fast. Also the asking price is very nice due to MN tax laws about cars. If it is under $3000, no sales tax is required. Therefore my fees are very minimal.

$2999 and they are throwing in a full detail service prior to me picking up the car if I buy.

The radio also doesnt work but I dont care at all. I was going to rip it out anyways and install touch screen double din and upgrade all speakers.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So here is the deal. The dealer made a mistake. It is a clean title. Not a bad title. This was due to a accident reported in 2004 from another state that has a very goofy reporting (Iowa). Carfax and auto check confirms this.

The dealer lowered the asking price due to the confusion and wanting to unload the car fast. Also the asking price is very nice due to MN tax laws about cars. If it is under $3000, no sales tax is required. Therefore my fees are very minimal.

$2999 and they are throwing in a full detail service prior to me picking up the car if I buy.

The radio also doesnt work but I dont care at all. I was going to rip it out anyways and install touch screen double din and upgrade all speakers.
Am I reading correctly? ...You already have an '04 with just 64K miles and just bought an '00 with just 63K miles? That's less total miles than most members here with just ONE car...my '01 is at a hair under 130K miles now.

I'm really curious to hear more about the trans...most other problems are nothing. Even worst case, a total rebuild, the car could still be at reasonable value...BUT with a rebuilt trans (correctly) you won't have to worry about it for a very long time.

Was it an Audi dealer that said the trans is slipping JUST in 1st gear...or just a general used car dealer. Wondering if they'd know how to at least check the ATF level or run a scan for trans DTC codes?

Congrats (I hope)...good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
Am I reading correctly? ...You already have an '04 with just 64K miles and just bought an '00 with just 63K miles? That's less total miles than most members here with just ONE car...my '01 is at a hair under 130K miles now.

I'm really curious to hear more about the trans...most other problems are nothing. Even worst case, a total rebuild, the car could still be at reasonable value...BUT with a rebuilt trans (correctly) you won't have to worry about it for a very long time.

Was it an Audi dealer that said the trans is slipping JUST in 1st gear...or just a general used car dealer. Wondering if they'd know how to at least check the ATF level or run a scan for trans DTC codes?

Congrats (I hope)...good luck and keep us posted.

Yes, I have a 04 A8L. Its got 71k on it as of this morning.

I think $3k for the 00 a8 is a steal. I'm gonna pick it up this weekend. Like you said, even with a full tran rebuild, its still a hell of a deal and than i get a ^new^ tran. Plus i'll be working on other parts of the car as well. whatever needs work.

I just thought of this last night: (for example)

car (a) is $9k and is in great condition with no issues at time of sell. however, you know things will be coming up and will be a cost on top of the $9k already invested

car (b) is only $3k and has issues. with $6 of repairs needed you will be at the total of $9k for total investment. however with this $9k total you will know what happened, who, and how. meaning you have full control over the repairs and you will hold the doc records. with a total of $9 invested including the sell of the car, you now have a car that doesnt need anything for a long time and can drive worry free.

-----------
I have always been a buyer of car (a) and have never thought of (b) as an option. well...things are about to change.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always been a buyer of car (a) and have never thought of (b) as an option. well...things are about to change.
...or (c) car is $3k and needs $100 radio and $20 worth of ATF and then runs perfectly.

Quick Reply: Help: Thinking about buying 2000 A8 with slipping tranny