A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pleasantly Perplexed

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 05:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pleasantly Perplexed

Ok,

The transmission filter was changed along with five liters of rather distressed, (but in no way burned) transmission fluid. I have no way to tell if the present fluid is original "lifetime fill" or not. Pentosin was used to refill.

With that, after three typical short commute driving cycles over which I have come to expected hunting of the TCC, there has been nothing! Nadda! Not a false move from the tranny. Near the end of the route in to the workplace, there is a moderate uphill grade. I have been putting the shift to 3rd to aviod the unpleasant surging associated with the undesired TCC activity. This morning, the transmission ratchets up through the gears till 4-5th and the TCC locks and stays locked. No hunting at all, and that at 1200 rpm and just enough pedal to accelerate to the posted 45mph. These conditions have always induced slippage previously.

I am suprised. Very!

Any guesses?

1) Friction modification at the TCC facing by means of dilution of the old fluid with the new?

A correction to an overfill condition (This is pure speculation, as the drain quantity was not measured, just dumped into the catch can) This correction then eliminates/reduces churning and foaming of the fluid , allowing the hydraulic function as designed?

The contrary, a correction of an overfill condition, Then what????

The new filter allows full flow to satisfy a previously starving pump?

The replacement fluid effects a more perfect seal on some Valve body component?

Some small bit was flushed from some even smaller orifice during the service process?

The technician, knowing that these A8's can have transmission problems, disconnected the TCU during the service, and has reset the contoller just to make me feel like something good happens when my car is in his shop.

No real change, It just seems that way. (wishful thinking that will soon pass)

Should a fluid flush follow to reward and promote a good thing?

Bets on the Table gentlemen!

How about the Mens national team 2- nil over an angry Mexican side.

CalG
Old 02-08-2007, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re set TCU. It'll re learn to hunt again.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:47 AM

Default Woohooo..USMNT>>>

From my understanding...Mexico has not scored a goal against the USMNT in almost 700 mins.
And to think, i read somewhere ( FIFA's website..i think???)that the world is "stunned"???????
Old 02-08-2007, 05:49 AM

Default Re: Woohooo..USMNT>>>

And not a hint of any good will.

Though I am sure there are players who would rather have the entire experience enjoyable.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:11 AM

Default Is that a vote?

The tech did it?

Sabbotage!
Old 02-08-2007, 06:14 AM

Default Clatter gone too

Oh! By the way. On start up this morning (-14c)

There was no clatter heard from that cold transmission.

The pump is satisfied!

It is the squeaking wheel that get's the grease!

CalG
Old 02-08-2007, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default After I changed my fluid and filter previously I would experience the same thing

I've posted before that after fluid and filter changes the car was much better specifically TC dropout on the highway......but within time it would become terrible again.

It all started aroun 77K miles on my car.....then I had the skretching noise on the transmission (cavitation during a very cold day), then I got the fluid and filter changed about 85K miles for the first time, and it shifted much smoother.

I believe I changed the fluid/filter three times before having my tranny rebuilt last summer. Now it has the red valvoline stuff in it. Still operates the same way.....but I still don't have hunting yet since the new TPS install.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:05 AM

Yes, based on experience of others.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:28 AM

Default Oh

I may have misrepresented the story. There is no reason to think that the service technician disconnected the battery, or reset the Transmission control module in any way. That part of the guessing was pure speculation as well, and meant to be a bit humorous.

But, one can not disallow the possibility.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:39 AM

Default PaulW

Paul

What did you think of the TPS article?

Posted above.

CalG

Quick Reply: Pleasantly Perplexed