A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to move on...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to move on...

Well, after 2.5 years, 18k miles, and several thousand $s in repairs and maintenance, I decided it was best for me and the A8 to part company. I thoroughly enjoyed driving it, and I will miss the power, AWD, etc, but in the end it just wasn't worth the headaches anymore.

Oil cooler fixed twice, rear output seal fixed once, rear caliper replaced, 4 rotors, gas vapor (EVAP) leak fixed twice (but not really fixed), and "something" still leaking from the front area, and the burning oil type smell on occasion (maybe just me being paranoid).

Little annoying things that are no big deal, but add up after a while: Cruise control didn't work, goofy mirrors (one of which oozed all the magic auto-dim goop down the side of the car), lumbar adjust and one or more headrests inop. Lousy range on the remote (even with new battery, and the Audi procedure to extend range). Almost tearing the entire front end off 3-4 times. Not to mention 16mpg on premium, when I'm the one stuck shuttling the kids to/from school and driving to work (wasn't the case when I originally bought the car).

The biggest issue, quite frankly- the fact that it would probably need the transmission issues addressed in the next year or two to the tune of $3-4k.

I didn't feel comfortable selling it to family or friends, and didn't want to screw a complete stranger by selling it that way (or the hassle of selling it myself anyway), so I ended up trading it in. Hopefully whoever ends up reselling it will give it a once-over and not screw the next owner. I managed to get $5500 for it- 1998 A8q, 139k miles.

I did take it up on the highway and stretch the ol' legs one last time on the way to the dealer. The last song played on the radio before I dropped it off? Meredith Brooks' "Bitch". Somehow, oddly appropriate

If anyone on here ends up buying a Pearl White on Grey '98 with 139k out of NC, let me know. I can point you to the shop that's been working on it, and maybe get you the service records.

You guys have been a great bunch to share car experiences with. Thanks for all the help, and good luck on the whole transmission thing. I'll probably lurk a bit to see how it goes...

Regards,
Tony Z
Old 05-16-2007, 07:02 AM
Elder Member

Default Sorry to see you go, and ...

Better luck with your next car.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:33 AM

=/ thats really sad..take care ok?
Old 05-16-2007, 09:44 AM
dS8
AudiWorld Member

Re: What did you trade in in on...?
Old 05-16-2007, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Good luck!
Old 05-16-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Me too

Hello,

I have a similar story. I bought my 99 A8 in 2002. The car had 66K miles when I bought. Within the first year I spent a lot of time (fortunately not money b/c I work on the car myself) repairing common things like valve cover gaskets, brake pads and rotors, trans output seal, etc.

The car was great for a year or so, then I had real bad oil leaks that turned out to be the cylinder hears. That was big $$.

My car had 130K on it when I decided to get rid of it. The car was acually very reliable and I was happy with it. I was annoyed that the cruise control, many seat motors, seat heaters, and other things didn't work.

I planned on getting an S8 (2002 or so) but the thought of having all those things break again caused me to change my mind. That and the fact that my wife spent more time driving the car than I did convinced me to get a Lincoln LS.

For $22K I bought a 2005 LS with 12K miles and full warrantee. The Lincoln is no A8. You can tell right away that the body is thinner, the glass thinner, etc. Still everything works on the Lincoln (and probably will for a long time), the performance is good (280HP for a 3700 lb car), and my wife likes it.

Oh yeah, I traded the car in for $5K and I thought I was lucky (the car had a few dents)

Take care guys, I will probably stick around.

Barry
Old 05-17-2007, 01:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Cheers and good luck for the future
Old 05-18-2007, 05:51 AM

Default Re: What did you trade it in on...?

2007 Saturn Aura Green Line.

A little smaller (mid size), waaay less power (the regular V6 models address that nicely), a few less gadgets to play with- but much better MPG, great warranty and great service. No tranny rebuilds, heart-stopping repair bills, and no more $70 oil changes for me! (unfortunately, now my mechanic will have to find some other way to put his kids through college)