A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8

Hello my name is Royal i just purchased my first Audi, and it's an A8L! definitely love it and got it for a steal! just some little things wrong with it like the hood latch broke off so that was fun cutting the hook off, and the screen grinds when it slide up and down but have the parts coming in soon to fix it but I'm having a hard time finding these parts at a good price, i don't agree with how much stealerships want for it but if you guys have any info where i can find these please chime in. I'm happy to be a part of this forum as I've been a part of VwVortex, i also have an '04 R32, and an '01 GTI 1.8t.

these are the parts i need with part numbers

4E0 823 520 A - Passenger side hood release cable

4E0 823 531 A - Driver side hood release cable

4E0 823 509 C - Hood Latch, 2 of them

4E0 823 203 B - I think this is the part number but I need the actual hood that threads into the hood not the bracket

4E0 823 543 A - Hood release cable to the inside

Thanks for anyone that can help! I'll post my progress on my A8 here
Old 09-16-2015, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Start here:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-read-2877219/
Old 09-16-2015, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sad but true

If I were you, (and this is something you'll find out really quick here) I'd just Google things before posting, even use YouTube. Otherwise, you'll get a bunch of know it alls pointing you to the sticky( as if you didn't see it) or using clichés like "basic automotive skills" blah blah. Trust me, some of these guys have the answer but they're too snobbish to give you the answer. They'll say VCDS or something from above. There's a guy on here on YouTube that has plenty of how to vids, he's a cool guy.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi, and welcome to this forum.

Congratulations for your new car. I wanted to buy the long version either, but then I soon realised that with those crowded roads and parking spots and less and less space between parked cars, it may be a problem maneuvering it.

The subject of the thread is not very intuitive, though - just 'A8' doesn't tell us much about what's inside, so many users that may be able to help you won't even read this thread. How about 'Fixing a broken hood latch' ?

I've noticed on several foreign forums the word 'stealership' which you also used in your post. Well, let's face it: Audi is an expensive brand, with expensive cars. A8 is the top-of-the-line, so it was expected that parts and labour to be expensive.

I bought my car cheaper than I expected. Apparently, the person who sold it to me, was in an urgent need of money. That's probably why he didn't maintain it properly, so I had to invest a lot in it. Thus, after all, I didn't buy it as cheap as I thought. Unfortunately, everything is expensive, especially when it comes to A8.

I remember a funny conversation with a mechanic - I asked how much will it cost to repair something, and he said:"it will cost X EUR... oh, wait a minute... this si an A8, not an A6... we'll have to see."

I was a little offtopic, I know. I can't help you with more, but I do know that if you want to do something about your car and want to go cheap, you have to document yourself properly and do it yourself. I did this, but I was lucky because I bought a damaged (crashed) car that I disassembled, and I had something to practice on (unfortunately, half of the front was either gone or very badly damaged, including the hood). When I wanted to remove an element, I examined the (now) empty chassis of the other car and see where is located each screw, clip, clamp, hose, cable and so on, so I won't broke anything.

Wherever I wasn't sure I was able to complete the repair successfully, I did go to the dealer (I never touch engine or anything related, like gearbox, except for regular maintenance). I avoided any 'multibrand' service because I don't trust their mechanics, I don't think they are properly trained and some repairs can only be done by the dealer anyway (i.e. removing component protection, pairing new keys etc.).

Please keep us posted about the repair you are attempting.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 05audiman
If I were you, (and this is something you'll find out really quick here) I'd just Google things before posting, even use YouTube. Otherwise, you'll get a bunch of know it alls pointing you to the sticky( as if you didn't see it) or using clichés like "basic automotive skills" blah blah. Trust me, some of these guys have the answer but they're too snobbish to give you the answer. They'll say VCDS or something from above. There's a guy on here on YouTube that has plenty of how to vids, he's a cool guy.
05adudiman, why isn't it a good idea to ask new posters to read the sticky? The OP doesn't state where he lives. If I or someone else gives him a web address for cheap parts but it's not even in the same country he lives in it will be useless. You criticize memebers for being "know it alls" and then go on to say that they are too "snobbish" to give answers. I kind of see where you are coming from but those people who spend a lot of time on here answering questions tend to get frustrated when people keep asking the same question over and over again. directing someone to the search function isn't "snobish". It's common sense. You can learn a lot about your car with the search function. Instead of ragging on the forum members why don't you contribute?
Old 09-17-2015, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by the_duke
05adudiman, why isn't it a good idea to ask new posters to read the sticky? The OP doesn't state where he lives. If I or someone else gives him a web address for cheap parts but it's not even in the same country he lives in it will be useless. You criticize memebers for being "know it alls" and then go on to say that they are too "snobbish" to give answers. I kind of see where you are coming from but those people who spend a lot of time on here answering questions tend to get frustrated when people keep asking the same question over and over again. directing someone to the search function isn't "snobish". It's common sense. You can learn a lot about your car with the search function. Instead of ragging on the forum members why don't you contribute?
You misunderstood, the sticky is a great source of information. I've actually learned a few things from it and other posts. I'm simply saying for that to be a reply to someone as if they didn't see the big new users read this is ridiculous. It's an insult, and it kinda makes the ppl that do it seem like an a$$. I'm not ragging on the folks that do it, I'm just warning this guy that it happens. As far as contribution, I've got tons of inbox messages where I contribute what I know. They inbox because they're afraid of what these same members you defend will post, and that I do understand. I'm a certified mechanic on top of specializing in engines foreign and domestic and working on cars for 20 years at the ripe age of 33. Some things are repetitive with the majority of our cars, ask the guy I helped with the abs module. The only thing anyone else could say is VCDS, that's not an answer. I don't have one, I've fixed countless things on my A8. I help where I can, I don't refer ppl elsewhere. If I don't know, I don't respond.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RoyalA8
Hello my name is Royal i just purchased my first Audi, and it's an A8L! definitely love it and got it for a steal! just some little things wrong with it like the hood latch broke off so that was fun cutting the hook off, and the screen grinds when it slide up and down but have the parts coming in soon to fix it but I'm having a hard time finding these parts at a good price, i don't agree with how much stealerships want for it but if you guys have any info where i can find these please chime in. I'm happy to be a part of this forum as I've been a part of VwVortex, i also have an '04 R32, and an '01 GTI 1.8t.

these are the parts i need with part numbers

4E0 823 520 A - Passenger side hood release cable

4E0 823 531 A - Driver side hood release cable

4E0 823 509 C - Hood Latch, 2 of them

4E0 823 203 B - I think this is the part number but I need the actual hood that threads into the hood not the bracket

4E0 823 543 A - Hood release cable to the inside

Thanks for anyone that can help! I'll post my progress on my A8 here
BTW pal, the guy on YouTube who's also a member here. He has a video on how to open the hood if the latch etc breaks. I'm working on searching my YouTube history to give you his name.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User