A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8L 3.0 no start issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8L 3.0 no start issue

Hi all, first post here. I have a A8L from a friend which does not respond to key. When putting the key in the ignition nothing happens. It is supposed to make a clicking sound but no.

I have checked the relays, all fuses, took out steering column and openened it up. Ignition gets power, tried another ignition same thing. Steering column does not get power. I haad already checked the motor for the steering lock which works fine. There is a printboard inside the steering column which also seems fine to me. I sometimes get MMI working and a message telling me something about the key on the dash. Sometimes in germans sometimes in English.

I once got code 00288 N360 for the steering column but after erasing it did not come back. I now get start authorisation codes and J518 iirc.

I have been searching the net for weeks now and i must say there is not much info about this topic since most just bring the car to a dealer and get a new steering column programmed. Which would cost more then the value of this A8 i'm guessing. I can find a lot more info about the A6 , Q7 and passat which seem to have a complete different system then an A8 d3.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Blind luck diagnostics will get you nowhere. Neeed to see a VCDS scan.

But for ****s and giggles, make sure the battery is fully charged and that relay j329 for terminal 15 is good.

It's located in position 3 in the relay panel behind the dash to the lower left of the steering column.
See here for more info Audi Workshop Manuals > A8L V8-4.2L (BFM) (2004) > Relays and Modules > Relays and Modules - Lighting and Horns > Horn Relay > Component Information > Locations > Page 1787
Old 07-22-2017, 09:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys , i buy a car from auction , car already lost key , and i order a new key from Audi and they charge me 350 $ just key , and the car have to move the Audi dlr for programming but car is 4 wheel lock and towing company need 400 just for tow and also .
i want try to fix this problem , i call a company for key programming they come and try to program key , the first problem is they cant communicate to car because when we put key in ignition key just turn around but dash light is off and noting happens .
this guy told me your car have to turn on position and than we can start programming immobilization ... but car do noting just mmi work and seat and some light ..
after that i research a lot about this problem some one said steering wheel column is bad and need to fix
, some one told me you need vcds tools and i buy that but not communicate without key

,, i didn't know what wrong is my car please help me thank you so much

i buy new battery and check all fuse .
Old 07-22-2017, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Hello Kam,
Try holding the brake pedal down for 30 seconds to wake up the diagnostics, and then keep holding it, if that does not work you will have to run a positive 12volt jumper wire to one of the ignition fuses in the panel to wake up the system.
Originally Posted by kamrooz
Hi guys , i buy a car from auction , car already lost key , and i order a new key from Audi and they charge me 350 $ just key , and the car have to move the Audi dlr for programming but car is 4 wheel lock and towing company need 400 just for tow and also .
i want try to fix this problem , i call a company for key programming they come and try to program key , the first problem is they cant communicate to car because when we put key in ignition key just turn around but dash light is off and noting happens .
this guy told me your car have to turn on position and than we can start programming immobilization ... but car do noting just mmi work and seat and some light ..
after that i research a lot about this problem some one said steering wheel column is bad and need to fix
, some one told me you need vcds tools and i buy that but not communicate without key

,, i didn't know what wrong is my car please help me thank you so much

i buy new battery and check all fuse .
Old 07-22-2017, 09:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks bro

i will try .and let you know

where show diagnostic ? at mmi monitor ?

where is ignition fuse locate ?
Old 07-22-2017, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

where show diagnostic ? at mmi monitor ?

where is ignition fuse locate ?

No the diagnostic does not show up on the MMI screen, you need a diagnostic tool like Ross-Tech cable and software to load into a laptop, or a PC if you have one in your garage, do not get a cheap knockoff.

From what I gather, you have a A8 that had no keys, but you did not tell us what year, and where in the world you are located, so you ordered new keys by the VIN I assume, so the key blades fit the door, trunk, and glove box, and as the ignition does not use any tumbles that does not matter, you could stick a screwdriver in the ignition and it would turn, the reason I say this is because that is basically what your new cut keys are right now to the ignition, as they are not programed, and being you do not have Ross-Tech cable, nor a Car Prog to get the SKC from the KESSY module 93c86 chip, you can not program the keys yourself, and as the KESSY does not recognize the new keys it will not power up the dash, so if you have a 2004-06 A8 look at the attached fuse layout and find the fuses numbers 5 & 10 on the drivers side dash fuse panel, and supply #5 first with power from a nearby body fuse, or run a jumper wire with alligator clips from the battery to the fuse location, that should power up the dash, ignition, and diagnostic port, if not try #10 next, and last numbers 5 & 10 together as #5 is the instrument cluster and data bus OBD interface fuse on terminal 30, and # 10 is the data bus OBD interface on terminal 15, you asked in PM if I had this problem before, so I will share it here again as I have in the past, while rebuilding my Bentley GT I had the same situation, the original key was shot/dead, I ordered new keys from Bentley by VIN, but as I stated above the cut by VIN is only for the blade of the key, so I was were you are at now, no power on the dash, and the Ross-Tech would fail as no power, Bentley wanted me to tow the vehicle in and charge an other $500-$700 IIRC, but my GT was not ready to be towed anywhere as she was torn down, so then I learned of the holding the brake pedal, that did wake up the diagnostics but the scan would hang as the power would cycle in the vehicle while holding the brake pedal, so just like I had back fed power in my A8L for the armrest light short, I back fed power to the ignition fuse on the Bentley to turn on the dash, KESSY, and diagnostics port, this allowed the Ross-Tech to run full scan and also allowed me to program my own keys with the Ross-Tech software as I had pulled the SKC (secret key code) PIN from the chip in my KESSY module with CarProg.

So by you back feeding the power to these fuses, your guy should be able to do his thing, BUT be aware depending on what year, key type (depending on year) and if you have push button start, I was told by two different guys who do this programing that if I let them do my new keys, that they could not guaranty that my push button start would work, or my keyless entry, one even said that he would be cloning an older style key to my KESSY module and possibly using my new case on the old key guts, I said no thanks and researched it myself and finally did my own as described above.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-pictures.html

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Audi A8L Fuse Location.pdf (1.30 MB, 502 views)

Last edited by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT; 07-22-2017 at 11:26 AM. Reason: numbered the fuses
Old 07-22-2017, 11:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello again ..thanks a lot
OK cool i have brand new last version vcds ross tech .

Washington state

the model and year is a8l 2004

yes no key when i buy it . but i order the new key whit vin number and work in door and trunk and ignition fit

when i buy car come no battery to , i buy a new battery

i can say you are awesome

ok sure . i let you know soon

thanks
Old 07-22-2017, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Kam,
Please reread, as I did some editing naming the fuses 5 & 10.
Johnny
Hello again ..thanks a lot
OK cool i have brand new last version vcds ross tech .

Washington state

the model and year is a8l 2004

yes no key when i buy it . but i order the new key whit vin number and work in door and trunk and ignition fit

when i buy car come no battery to , i buy a new battery

i can say you are awesome

ok sure . i let you know soon

thanks
Old 07-22-2017, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

5 and 10
Attached Thumbnails A8L 3.0 no start issue-20170722_160405.jpg  
Old 07-22-2017, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts