A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater/AC Blower motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I would not be concerned about the brushes. I would be concerned about the commutator. I have seen more than one motor that was junk because the copper commutator was worn down to the insulation. Once that happens, it is time to buy a new motor.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Once the assembly is removed, you can see thebearing at the brush "end" of the motor. There is a hole at the other end of the motor that you may be able to spary a lubricant in as well. Keep in mind that whatever scent the lubricant has will be dispersed into the cabin of the vehicle.

The squirrel cage fans can be removed from the motor shaft, there are spring clamps that can be removed and then the fans slide off. Might need a puller as my motor shaft was rusted making it larger in size.

I'm a cheapskate as many here know. That said, If I was disassembling everything to get to the motor, I would replace it. Again, the brushes on these motors have a finite life.
So is there any good way of just fixing the blower motor itself? Mine just went out and I really don't want to dish $300 on the motor right away.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by RangeK1D
So is there any good way of just fixing the blower motor itself? Mine just went out and I really don't want to dish $300 on the motor right away.

You'll have to remove the motor assembly and inspect/remove the brushes to determine if they are good or bad. If bad, buy the ones Richard-TX shows in this thread in post 18 and replace.

If you don't know that they are good or worn by inspecting them, post a pic of them removed next to a ruler for others to chime in.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a new set. If you decide to go that route send me a PM. (New Brushes)

Last edited by Pointman911; 03-16-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
You'll have to remove the motor assembly and inspect/remove the brushes to determine if they are good or bad. If bad, buy the ones Richard-TX shows in this thread in post 18 and replace.

If you don't know that they are good or worn by inspecting them, post a pic of them removed next to a ruler for others to chime in.
Okay perfect will do! I'll get pictures as soon as I take the assembly out. I haven't really take a good look at it but why do the wipers need to come out? Does the wiper motor also need to come out?
Old 03-16-2017, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Pointman911
I have a new set. If you decide to go that route send me a PM. (New Brushes)
For sure! Will let you know.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Okay perfect will do! I'll get pictures as soon as I take the assembly out. I haven't really take a good look at it but why do the wipers need to come out? Does the wiper motor also need to come out?
I replaced motor and resister block last summer. The Bentley manual says to take off so you can remove long black window strip. I took off wipers but did not remove the window strip because I thought I would break it. Removing it would make it easier to get to the nuts holding the aluminum support bar on. I was able to get them out without removing it. It was A PITA though. Little hands will help along with either brasing up that plastic strip if your alone or have assistant push up on it to give you a little extra room to work.. Try not to drop the nuts. I dropped one putting it back on and never could find it.

Last edited by Pointman911; 03-16-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Wiper motor & Linkage assembly has to come out to be able to remove the blower motor assembly.

Follow the service manual. Best to disconnect the battery ground strap. If you fiddle with the wiper linkage and the motor linkage decides to cause the wiper motor to cycle, you can lose a finger, wrist or even your hand. That is one high torque motor.

Don't just rely on forum postings or you tube videos. Invest in the proper service manual or Alldata subscription.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I agree, follow the manual. I have '07 and removal of wiper motor and linkage was not necessary. Looks like you have '05 so may be different
Old 03-16-2017, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I replaced the HVAC blower motor on an 04, taking out the wiper motor and linkage was no big deal, was easier to get at everything with it out, made more space for working. I think in all there are 3 bolts that hold it in. A Genuine Audi motor was 222.00 not 300.00 RE:Post 22

Last edited by 03_AR_CO; 03-16-2017 at 05:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Heater/AC Blower motor