A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI Not Functioning - Sunroof Leaked!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 11:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI Not Functioning - Sunroof Leaked!

Long time follower - first time poster to this forum. I'm hoping to draw on the experience of you all to diagnose my problem. Very short story, heavy rain, sunroof drains blocked, excess water leaked all over MMI Controls, now none of the buttons work. Attached is a system scan using my newly purchased Ross-tech tool. If anyone can shed any light on the source of the problem, and what parts I will likely need to remedy the problem I will be extremely grateful.

P.s. sunroof drains have since been unblocked.
Attached Files
Old 05-11-2014, 02:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Had same thing a few days ago, check here - https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2865603

But basically remove your Sunroof Controls as that's where the water comes in through the little vents and remove your MMI controls, I didn't need to take apart my Sunroof Controls as they were all still working fine so just rested them on a towel and used a Hair Dryer to dry them out, the MMI Controls I did take completely apart, back off, board out and buttons out, made sure everything was completely dry with the Hair Dryer again, then put it all back together and waited until the next day to refit them, everything was back to normal after that.

Last edited by RenoRanes; 05-11-2014 at 02:12 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks Reno, this has all been done - I just neglected to include it in my initial post. MMI disassembled completely, dried and reinstalled. None of the MMI control buttons are functioning. Occasionally they will light up, but only intermittently. Can anyone deduce anything from the scan that may relate to the issue?

Originally Posted by RenoRanes
Had same thing a few days ago, check here - https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2865603

But basically remove your Sunroof Controls as that's where the water comes in through the little vents and remove your MMI controls, I didn't need to take apart my Sunroof Controls as they were all still working fine so just rested them on a towel and used a Hair Dryer to dry them out, the MMI Controls I did take completely apart, back off, board out and buttons out, made sure everything was completely dry with the Hair Dryer again, then put it all back together and waited until the next day to refit them, everything was back to normal after that.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi again all, I was hoping for a little more wisdom than that which has been provided from such a knowledgeable community. 234 views and 1 response... anyway, I have put the vehicle in the shop for diagnosis and repair. I guess I shall share the outcome for the benefit of everyone once it comes to hand.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Did you check the fuse in the trunk?

MMI doesn't work because of the OPTICAL open circuit - Head Unit can't communicate with -
One of the MOST devices has no power or broken.

Open the fuse box schematic and start checking to see if these devices have power:

-Navigation DVD in the trunk.
-Satellite Radio in the trunk.
-Analog Radio in the trunk.
-CD changer in the glove box.
-Head Unit behind the glove box.

The water may cause a short in one of these devices and cause the fuse or device to break - just hope for the fuses only.

Cheers,

Louis