A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk auto close/hinge problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk auto close/hinge problem

Went to Audi Escondido (san diego) for routine service and for airbag, trunk hinge and motor recall. Got a Q7 as loaner, very nice - past times it was ford focus and sebring

Trunk issue has been an ongoing problem, push button, lid goes down, doesn't close, goes back up. The motor had been replaced once already.
This time they say I have the latest motor but will replace hinges. I pick up car friday, try the trunk, it works!
Get home, open trunk, push button, trunk doesn't close. Did it 10x, doesn't close. Ridiculous. I'm sick and tired of it. Called service guy, says to push down on lid as trunk is closing and that should close it.
I told him I'm coming back next week. He just says "ok."

I wonder if airbag works...

Suggestions? Is this covered under Lemon Law?

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2006, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good question! Lemon Laws cover SAFETY-RELATED items only.

This could qualify if the trunk could/did open while in transit.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Good question! Lemon Laws cover SAFETY-RELATED items only.

One of the first lemon law cases I read about (17 years ago?) involved a 500SL where the lawyer who bought it was unhappy with the whirring of the HVAC fan. Something to do with the literature promising a perfect or ideal driving environment. Lawyer argued the noise was not perfect and Benz had to buy the car back.

I am sure the laws vary by state. The SL case was either Florida or California..
Old 12-02-2006, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That's how the lid gets bent, good advice! Maybe the bad hinges killed the good motor?
Old 12-02-2006, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

There's a dealer in Esondido? Since when? Where? I'm pretty sure CA lemon law is only safety related
Old 12-02-2006, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default There's a dealer in Esondido? yes now there is

Metro Audi that was in downtown san diego was bought by United Auto Group (roger penske) and moved to Escondido Auto Park. It's currently sharing facilites with Mazda awaiting a state-of-the-art facilty (so I'm told).
Old 12-02-2006, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: That's how the lid gets bent,

Hope my lid doesn't get bent. Then I'll be really upset.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I was wondering what happened to Metro. Thought they just went out of business b/c of poor location.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There certainly are some oddball cases in the Lemon Law arena

and this is one of them. Basically, a finding in favor of the owner in a LL case is an admission of a Breach of Warranty. A noisy fan would not normally fall into this catagory and we dont know the complete story. A relatively new car can be "colaterally exchanged " for a new one if problems persist and the manufacturer agrees to it.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Trunk auto close/hinge problem

had similar issue...ultimately back doored into solution when dealer realized my battery was running down every time the car was parked with engine off (overnight, or for long stays in parking lot)...for whatever its worth, once they cleared that issue (9mos ago) the trunk issue disappeared without a hint of reappearing.

fwiw, before u close the trunk, use your finger to feel the little hook/latch thats in the middle of the trunk--it shud be open, but when i was having the problem, i noticed it was closed...flipping it open with my finger, the trunk wud then lower/close no issue (with the trunk lowering into position, and the opened latch THEN closing to lock the trunk)

Quick Reply: Trunk auto close/hinge problem