A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB: Rotors, Pads and lines 2008 W12

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB: Rotors, Pads and lines 2008 W12

60k miles on the ol gal. Replace pads light has the Mrs scared and demanding this be addressed immediately. Hilarious. Can't stomach going to the stealership. On other forums I belong too a post like this will initiate vendor contact which is what I am hoping occurs. Houston Texas area....

Gracias in advance yal
Old 09-26-2015, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Gzila850
60k miles on the ol gal. Replace pads light has the Mrs scared and demanding this be addressed immediately. Hilarious. Can't stomach going to the stealership. On other forums I belong too a post like this will initiate vendor contact which is what I am hoping occurs. Houston Texas area....

Gracias in advance yal
Are you DIY'ing this? Not clear. If so, what are you proposing even to use?--post is too scant. Getting some random vendor to respond to a random post du jour for a low volume Audi is different that getting best quality, price, etc.

I would suggest OE rotors, which are price competitive with most better rotors if you get from an online discount dealer like audiusaparts. Watch on shipping for rotors in general, which can get expensive with the weights--front W12 rotors weigh 40 pounds, EACH. For pads, either OE or known reputable brand. I use EBC reds for what its worth, but also have used OE for replacement. Similar, and similarly priced, other than EBC has somewhat less dust. Check rotor wear too--if never changed before you may be getting close on fronts, but may notoo--W12/S8's are specific so the slam bang vendor with the generic 4.2 "today's great offer" might not work out so well...

Check rotor wear too--if never changed before you may be getting close on fronts, but may not need rears quite so fast. FWIW, if rotors previously done--like by an earlier original owner with a thick wallet who was talked into them erroneously by a dealer--you are pretty much just burning extra dollars like a prior owner did. In plain English, my experience specific to W12 is the rotors can go about 75-90K miles of mixed driving until they hit the wear limits (3mm front, 2 rear for W12/S8 IIRC). If you don't know prior history specific to rotors, you really should get a wear measurement. Its worth something like $600 to you for quality rotors (discounted), plus shortens labor time a fair amount if a pad only change.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-27-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As always your input/response is much appreciated. Will measure the rotors before going too far, also will check the sensors, etc. Replaced oem on the GTR last week with J-hooks and endless mx72 pads. What a difference.

If, after the measure I need to replace... will do the lines as well. 8 years of wear and tear might as well since we intend to keep this car. Like the slotted appearance, EBC has the black face (I know it wears off) that if it doesn't cost anything extra will be slick for pictures.

No vag-com Will have installed
Old 09-26-2015, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

As always your input/response is much appreciated. Will measure the rotors before going too far, also will check the sensors, etc. Replaced oem on the GTR last week with J-hooks and endless mx72 pads. What a difference.

If, after the measure I need to replace... will do the lines as well. 8 years of wear and tear might as well since we intend to keep this car. Like the slotted appearance, EBC has the black face (I know it wears off) that if it doesn't cost anything extra will be slick for pictures.

You can do fronts w/ no VAG COM. Only need it for rears. If front wear sensors are what turned the warning light on, it will go off with new pads. If you go non OE on front pads (or plug & play compatible ones like EBC), make sure they have the wear sensors built in like the factory ones do. Rear set up that works off the parking brake motor don't have sensors but then need the VAG COM. BTW, if you don't already know, S8 and W12 set up is identical except for the single front decorative trim part of the front pad clips. Thus if in doubt on a listing check it for S8's--sometimes they screw up and list W12 stuff that is really 4.2 since both are "A8's". Factory front pads are a tiny bit different in front for OE (dealer) between W12s and 4.2's, but for other providers like EBC they use one common parts number listing. I did an old post documenting the mm level difference on this.

If you are getting into lines and such, eventually replace the rubber bushings the calipers slide on in front. But that's more like my 110K plus miles , not your 50K plus. If your pad retainer clips are rusted in front--that silver face you see on outside of caliper--you can get inexpensive jobber ones from Rock Auto and similar sites. They are one of very few second rate (non) finish issues on D3's. They also sell other obscure jobber stuff like the stainless clips you fit into the caliper bracket the pads slide on. Way cheaper than (overpriced) Audi equivalent parts. But again, more for higher mileage and only when you do more thorough work like rotors, hoses etc. Also on hoses, if you do rears, realize there are two hoses on each side--one toward the caliper and another from body to lower arm.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-26-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have a set...

I have a set of W12 rotors for sale. Brand new.
Also have what you really want - a BBK - see my signature....

I spend time in Houston so could get the rotors to you pretty easily without shipping (which is a killer for any rotors, btu esp for these). As MP states above the W12 rotors do weight 40 lbs each, versus 30 lbs for stock 4.2 rotors.

Send me a PM if interested.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have Original Audi rotors and TRW pads (which are also OE) I can ship them to you
Old 09-29-2015, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Trust me

Solgies Alignment West Orem St. They did my upper control arm bushings, pads, and rotors. Plus tranny filter and flush. And 4 wheel alignment.
Excellent work, fast, and honest. Do my Beemer, Sequoia, and XJR too. Plus unlike some other indies in Houston you can source your own parts if you prefer.