A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 4.0 Engine Vibration MUST READ!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I can say I had dealer replace my factory down pipes with stock revised down pipes under CPO. On the invoice it said 1700.00 parts and labor. It absolutely made a difference. I too have stage one APR and I did think about going Stage 2 in order to quell the vibration. But after driving around with stage one I’m satisfied with the power.......I would have done it for the sound as well as I find my A8 too quiet in the exhaust.
But, if you have to cover it out of pocket there is NO way I’d put factory pipes in. I THink APR is having a 15% off sale??. That takes it from 2k down to 1700 for the pipes and tune!
Old 12-01-2017, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevereddy
I can say I had dealer replace my factory down pipes with stock revised down pipes under CPO. On the invoice it said 1700.00 parts and labor. It absolutely made a difference. I too have stage one APR and I did think about going Stage 2 in order to quell the vibration. But after driving around with stage one I’m satisfied with the power.......I would have done it for the sound as well as I find my A8 too quiet in the exhaust.
But, if you have to cover it out of pocket there is NO way I’d put factory pipes in. I THink APR is having a 15% off sale??. That takes it from 2k down to 1700 for the pipes and tune!
that’s the boat I was in. Dealer wouldn’t warranty mine because of my stage 1 tune so it would have been $1500 out of pocket for stock down pipe replacement. I guess your dealer didn’t notice your tune

Last edited by BTAudi; 12-01-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vibration is GONE!!!!

Originally Posted by BTAudi
i can confirm APR Stage 2 tune with their down pipes eliminates the dreaded 1k/3k rpm engine vibration. Just had it done in a 13’ S8.

Dealer quote on the new oem pipes was $1500 for parts and labor
I did finally get the selling dealer to cover the cost of down pipe repair, parts and labor. It certainly took some fighting/arguing/threatening-to-send-the-car-back, but they got it done - to their credit. Just to recap, this is a used D4 S8 and purchased at a non-Audi dealer, out of factory warranty, no CPO.

Unfortunately the selling dealer would only cover the cost for factory parts. I can report that the factory Audi parts fixed the issue. Vibration is completely gone. The APR pipes were my preference and I'm very happy to hear that they also fixed the vibration issue – good to know should I ever decide to upgrade.

Also, you may want to send APR that feedback. I called APR and asked if they had used these upgraded downpipes to fix the engine vibration issue. They didn't have a specific example that they could cite other than to say that they've never had anyone complain about a vibration AFTER getting the down pipes installed. They apparently never had anyone approach them to purchase the pipes to install to correct the vibration issue. But then again, they work through a distributor network and these types of questions/feedback probably don’t work their way back up to APR.

I contacted a local Audi dealer that also does APR parts/installs and they didn't have any experience installing the downpipes to fix the vibration either - but oddly, they had only done one down pipe install for the 4.0 TFSI - so I think that was just a lack of overall experience with this issue in particular. The Audi shop where I had my work done happened to have another 4.0 A8 in with the vibration issue that was getting the downpipes replaced (I think out of warranty and hence out of pocket) the day I dropped my car off, so the shop was very familiar with my issue - they had the same tech do the diagnosis on mine. If anyone else has this issue, you may want to call around to several local Audi shops and make sure they have seen and repaired this issue before - especially if you're looking to get the work done under warranty.

The service manager explained to me that the issue seems to be related to the flex pipe hardening under repeated heat-soak. But this was just his impression, he said there's no official word from Audi as to what causes this issue or why/when it starts. It just seems to crop up. But the replacement downpipes are a different part number, he confirmed that for me. It's an upgraded part designed/engineered by Audi specifically to fix this issue. Take that for what it is.

I'll also echo what other's said about the sound. It's a bit louder and actually sounds better. More burbles on overrun, especially with the valves open in sporty mode - but the difference is subtle. I'd say it's a 10% improvement in sounds. Who knows; it could also be placebo – me wanting to believe it sounds better. For now, the sound is good and frankly so is the performance. I have started to second guess APR Stage 1 right away because, frankly, this car has more power than I can use. I love that I can spin all 4 tires on a wet road surface and leave AWD 11’s on the road visible in my rear-view. It's already bonkers fast, like as quick as anything I've ever driven - including a 458 Italia and a 991.1 GT3 at a rent-a-racer event at my local track. The only car I've ever driven that felt faster than the D4 S8 is a 570S. So I plan to wait at least a year to do Stage 1, until it goes on sale again next year.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I contacted APR and informed them that the APR downpipes rectify the engine vibration issue and also sent them the TSB. They were happy you have the results.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by chris355
I did finally get the selling dealer to cover the cost of down pipe repair, parts and labor. It certainly took some fighting/arguing/threatening-to-send-the-car-back, but they got it done - to their credit. Just to recap, this is a used D4 S8 and purchased at a non-Audi dealer, out of factory warranty, no CPO.

Unfortunately the selling dealer would only cover the cost for factory parts. I can report that the factory Audi parts fixed the issue. Vibration is completely gone. The APR pipes were my preference and I'm very happy to hear that they also fixed the vibration issue – good to know should I ever decide to upgrade.

Also, you may want to send APR that feedback. I called APR and asked if they had used these upgraded downpipes to fix the engine vibration issue. They didn't have a specific example that they could cite other than to say that they've never had anyone complain about a vibration AFTER getting the down pipes installed. They apparently never had anyone approach them to purchase the pipes to install to correct the vibration issue. But then again, they work through a distributor network and these types of questions/feedback probably don’t work their way back up to APR.

I contacted a local Audi dealer that also does APR parts/installs and they didn't have any experience installing the downpipes to fix the vibration either - but oddly, they had only done one down pipe install for the 4.0 TFSI - so I think that was just a lack of overall experience with this issue in particular. The Audi shop where I had my work done happened to have another 4.0 A8 in with the vibration issue that was getting the downpipes replaced (I think out of warranty and hence out of pocket) the day I dropped my car off, so the shop was very familiar with my issue - they had the same tech do the diagnosis on mine. If anyone else has this issue, you may want to call around to several local Audi shops and make sure they have seen and repaired this issue before - especially if you're looking to get the work done under warranty.

The service manager explained to me that the issue seems to be related to the flex pipe hardening under repeated heat-soak. But this was just his impression, he said there's no official word from Audi as to what causes this issue or why/when it starts. It just seems to crop up. But the replacement downpipes are a different part number, he confirmed that for me. It's an upgraded part designed/engineered by Audi specifically to fix this issue. Take that for what it is.

I'll also echo what other's said about the sound. It's a bit louder and actually sounds better. More burbles on overrun, especially with the valves open in sporty mode - but the difference is subtle. I'd say it's a 10% improvement in sounds. Who knows; it could also be placebo – me wanting to believe it sounds better. For now, the sound is good and frankly so is the performance. I have started to second guess APR Stage 1 right away because, frankly, this car has more power than I can use. I love that I can spin all 4 tires on a wet road surface and leave AWD 11’s on the road visible in my rear-view. It's already bonkers fast, like as quick as anything I've ever driven - including a 458 Italia and a 991.1 GT3 at a rent-a-racer event at my local track. The only car I've ever driven that felt faster than the D4 S8 is a 570S. So I plan to wait at least a year to do Stage 1, until it goes on sale again next year.
re your observation about sound. My S8 was a July 2018 build, I assume it has the new down pipes, and it really sounds good! I had given some thought to the Sport exhaust option, but it was not a stand alone option, and I passed on it. Anyway, I'm very happy with the sound. Mike
Old 12-28-2017, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my 2015 A8L 4.0T back from the dealer today. I bought the car last week with 30K miles and immediately noticed the vibration. With the information contained in this thread I was able to explain the problem to the dealer and they ordered the down pipes without even seeing the car. Completely fixed the problem and the car is so much nicer to drive without the vibration. I have no idea how anyone could put up with this, if I hadn't read this thread beforehand I never would of bought the car because of the vibration.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi S8 2015

Originally Posted by ahyaman718
SO I am not crazy I noticed it too, just took delivery of my 2013 yesterday. What do we do? How much does this cost if Audi won't apply the fix?
Hi!
I have had the same problem on my S8 2015. Vibration at 3000rpm.
When I have told Audi dealer about the vibration, without seing the car they have just ordered the parts and called me for replacement. I went to Audi dealer and they have changed the down pipes in warranty. I have 5 years warranty for the car.
The models after 2016-04 are fitted form the factory with the new down pipes.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had this same issue and found that it was the downpipes. Check this video out as it shows the downpipes shaking at 1K and 3K rpm. I just put APR downpipes on last Friday and the shuttering/vibration are gone!!
Old 01-29-2018, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

First - This is a great post! Very helpful info in here.

I just bought a 2013 A8L 4.0t. I knew about the vibration issue from reading this post prior, so I negotiated that in during the purchase (not sold by Audi and no warranty/CPO). I was considering an APR downpipe setup but I just found out that there are no APR pipes for the long wheelbase L. Now I don't know if I want to buy the OEM parts and pay the Audi dealer or just pay a good shop to do the video mod/fix.....

Seems odd that a 4/5 yo car was never fixed under warranty. The issue seems widespread. Does it appear over time or do some people really not notice it and take it in? In my case it's noticeable almost every time while I'm stopping. In two weeks I've not found anything else wrong with this car and once the vibration issue is resolved I'm counting on a happy long-term relationship.....
Old 02-05-2018, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyRocker3
First - This is a great post! Very helpful info in here.

I just bought a 2013 A8L 4.0t. I knew about the vibration issue from reading this post prior, so I negotiated that in during the purchase (not sold by Audi and no warranty/CPO). I was considering an APR downpipe setup but I just found out that there are no APR pipes for the long wheelbase L. Now I don't know if I want to buy the OEM parts and pay the Audi dealer or just pay a good shop to do the video mod/fix.....

Seems odd that a 4/5 yo car was never fixed under warranty. The issue seems widespread. Does it appear over time or do some people really not notice it and take it in? In my case it's noticeable almost every time while I'm stopping. In two weeks I've not found anything else wrong with this car and once the vibration issue is resolved I'm counting on a happy long-term relationship.....
My 2013 A8L is still butter smooth vibration free. That is provided I have the annoying stop-start nonsense turned off. Never have had a hint of vibration of any sort.

Quick Reply: A8 4.0 Engine Vibration MUST READ!!!