A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear door doesn't open from inside 2011 A8L

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear door doesn't open from inside 2011 A8L

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums and Audi as well. I just purchased a 2011 A8L about 4 days ago and really am impressed with this vehicle. However, I just realized that the driver side rear door does not open from inside. I have read on other threads that the child safety locks are controlled through the driver door controls. When I push the button, the light toggles off or on with each press of the button but the rear door is still not able to be opened from inside. The passenger side rear door works fine and pressing the child lock button activates and deactivates the child lock just fine. I pulled on the inside door handle on the passenger rear door and can feel some tension as if everything is connected well, but when I pull on the driver rear door inside handle I do not feel any resistance. I suspect something might be disconnected. I plan to take it to the dealer and see if they will repair it.

In the event they decide not to fix it, I was wondering off someone had instructions on how to remove the door panel. I will try to fix it myself. Additionally, if someone has any idea as to what may be causing this, please feel free to chime in. Thanks
Old 09-18-2016, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just because the child lock light is coming on & off, doesn't mean it's activating the solenoid. You should hear a click at the rear door as the button is pushed. Hopefully you won't have to pull off door panels. Chances are it's a simple fix being over looked. Otherwise it's a good way to keep your rear doors from being slammed shut

Last edited by Garycw; 09-18-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the quick reply. I just checked to see if there was a clicking noise. I can hear the door click as I press the button. It appears the solenoid is getting power. Is it a big hassle to remove the door panel? I don't really want to remove the panel either because they don't always go back in properly but I feel this might be the only solution.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

It's a lot of little steps to take the panel off to service any of it, and it has to be done carefully. I suspect that it may have been done before, and someone didn't get it back together right. It's also possible something broke. I tried taking the panel off mine once, can't remember why, but it was taking more force than I liked and I didn't want to damage anything using make shift equipment to do the work. Take a very careful look at the panel to check for any signs of damage and go to the dealer. Check it again after, because I doubt they've taken that apart much. Easy to break clips.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is it one or both doors that don't open in the unlocked position?
Old 09-18-2016, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It's just one door. The driver rear door.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can you tell if both solenoids are working? Have someone else push the button while you're in back listening. It could be something as simple as one of the leads off the back of door switch button at driver control.
Otherwise that panel will be needing to come off if it's that urgent for you.
Mine had the rear shade down which was a big deal for me. PO said it was off track. I had someone push button while I helped guide up. Smooth as silk. It's up for good now unless I ever need to clean glass. Don't want to press my luck

Last edited by Garycw; 09-18-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just checked both sides. I can hear them each click. Darn, I think the panel has to come off. I will take it to the dealer to see if they will fix it without charging me since I just bought it but if they won't I will prefer to do it myself. If anyone has the instructions for removing the panel, I would really appreciate it.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yep. Good choice. Plus if they break it, they bought it. If say they'll fix if a Audi dealer. They figure they'll make it up later many times over. Might have s guy there that can R&P one blindfolded and already knows which clips will likely break.
They still may also know a easy fix without taking panel off too
Old 09-19-2016, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

You might want to check this:

Quick Reply: Rear door doesn't open from inside 2011 A8L