Autocheck system - Not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocheck system - Not working properly

I am having issues with my autocheck system.

First off, it doesn't even run through the system check when the car is started, nor does it illuminate OK when the check is supposed to be over. I checked my owners manual and it said that if the system acted like this it will need to be inspected.

So, i checked my bentley and the autocheck portion is very limited. I couldn't really find any information on what would be going wrong.

Also, I pushed the the autocheck button to run through the display codes, and it blinked the Oil pressure, and coolant level in red. However, the oil and coolant were changed recently to the correct levels, and the sensors were checked.

When i had my dash out i noticed the display switch (for english/german speaking countries, and engine type) was in the wrong position. So i switched it from 5(german/desiel) to 2(US/Gasoline). I don't think it should have caused the problem , but i guess i do own and audi??

Thanks in advance for any help!

Lucas
Old 04-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Autocheck system - Not working properly

Hi Lucas, your problem most likley is the dignostic computer. Over time the solder jonits get loose on it and will make it do very strange things. Please see my writeup. Hope it helps.<ul><li><a href="http://imageevent.com/tellmem3/92audi100sguageclusterfix?n=0">http://imageevent.com/tellmem3/92audi100sguageclusterfix?n=0</a</li></ul>
Old 04-26-2008, 12:10 PM

Thanks a bunch.

I was just looking at it again, and also realized that the readio only displays while the lights are on. It is almost like the yellow lights have burnt out??
Old 04-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

you got it. Yellow is daytime and when the night comes yellow is off and only the red is lit. Good luck and let me know how it goes
Old 04-26-2008, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

mine doesn't come on at startup too just does it thing and says ok after i press the check button
Old 04-26-2008, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Guess I'm stating the obvious but try putting it back together the same way it came out,

This thing through my experience is something that once you get it working put it back in and don't slam the door too hard the first time and it should stay working fine. Mine didn't work right when I bought the car and I cleaned things up a bit, carefully put the pins back together, after dialectric greasing them, and everything worked fine since then. The only way I know this is that the low washer fluid level light comes on when I let it get low and it runns its diagnostic when prompted. I don't play with it too much other than that....good luck.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Awesome write-up (and photos)!
Old 04-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Awesome write-up (and photos)!

Thank you for the comments Russ. I love working on odd ball things that annoy you like the diagnostic display of our Audi cars lol
Old 04-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: mine doesn't come on at startup too just does it thing and says ok after i press the check butto

Yeah sounds like the solder joints of the diagnostic cpu board. Check out the write up I posted above. ColoQuattro had a very GOOD point. That dielectric grease is very good to use between the pins apon reassemble. Sometimes that may be it if the solder joints look good.

Cheers!

Chris
Old 06-15-2011, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tellmem3
Hi Lucas, your problem most likley is the dignostic computer. Over time the solder jonits get loose on it and will make it do very strange things. Please see my writeup. Hope it helps.<ul><li><a href="http://imageevent.com/tellmem3/92audi100sguageclusterfix?n=0">http://imageevent.com/tellmem3/92audi100sguageclusterfix?n=0</a</li></ul>
That is a very helpful write-up.
My Auto Check is also not working, so now I can fix it.
You said in the write-up at the end, that you also have write-ups about
how to remove and re-install the cluster?

Quick Reply: Autocheck system - Not working properly