restore additive

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default restore additive

i was searching for info about this stuff on this forum. Found nothing but good remarks on it. But the topic wasn't mentioned for long. I was thinking of using it on my car, im not sure if its worth it. What do you guys think ? I dont know if Stephen Clark is in here anymore, but he said he tested it, and the results were noticed.
Old 01-12-2003, 10:14 AM

Default Re: restore additive

I just added this to my 87 5000 QT and noticed an immediate improvement in engine performance. I have 189k on mine and engine runs strong. I think I will keep using this stuff.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default cool !

Thats all I hear, nothing but good results! I really wonder how that stuff does it.
Old 01-13-2003, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: restore additive

Yup. I'm still here, and still endorse Restore. I have 255K with no engine problems at all. Never had the head off. I use it every oil change. If you measure compression before you add it, then 500 miles after you add it, you will see an improvement.

Stephen Clark
89 Audi 100
Houston, TX USA

See my car in the registry!
Old 01-13-2003, 05:29 PM

Default Re: restore additive???

What is this stuff - what is the product name, and how do you use it? Thanks
Old 01-15-2003, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: "Restore" engine treatment

The product name is "Restore", and it is an engine treatment that is added to the oil during an oil change. It is not an oil teatment per se, but contains an active ingredient call CSL that fills microscopic scratches and scores in the cylinder walls, therefore reducing friction and restoring compression. If you car is new, you probably don't need it. It is designed to restore compression to like-new levels in older engines. Works like a charm...I actually did comparison measurements of compression readings before and after, and compression is always better after the treatment. Takes about 500 miles after the treatment to work, and it's available in 4,6,or 8 cylinder (not 5!) sizes at any automotive department for about $7-10. Cheap insurance!
Old 01-15-2003, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ahh

there you are ! sounds like some good stuff ! (:
Old 01-15-2003, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: ahh...and then there was the skeptic...

I personally don't like to put additives in my cars engine, I dunno, call me an old fogey, but back in my youth, I was told about a product called MolySlip, was supposed to reduce oil burning in older engines, tried it...never made a difference.

In fact it got worse...soooooo, once bitten, twice shy, my only concern...in these fine Audi engines that last so long on their own, what would be the long term affect of using "Restore".

It would seem to me that it may be a marketing ploy, since you are required to add it at every oil change.

Like this new Motor Oil for High Mileage engines, I was told from someone who knows that it is useless. I mean really what more can you do to oil??

Sorry for the ramble, just my 2 cents...hehehe

Cheers
Old 01-16-2003, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: ahh...and then there was the skeptic...

I actually feel that way myself, Mr. Ed. I don't, as a rule, believe in additives of any kind. I would never use STP, Teflon, or any of those snake oils in my Audi. But as I said, I actually measured the difference on my own car. And, you can feel it too, even after only one application. Long term effects? None that I can discern after using it for over 150K miles. Would the engine be the same without it? Yes, but would have lower compression readings, lower power, less efficiency, etc.

And you don't have to add it at every oil change.

You can add it one time only and feel a difference. Do it again the next time you feel a loss of power, or your gas mileage drops. It's up to you! Add it every 5K or every 50K! Remember it's not an oil treatment, it's an engine treatment. Same as having the cylinders honed and polished, only a hell of a lot cheaper.

Good luck!
Old 01-16-2003, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: ahh...and then there was the skeptic...ok, you sold me...

Thanks for the info, you have convinced me to at least give it a try.

I didn't realize you had been using it that long.

CHeers

Quick Reply: restore additive