Audi 90 problems.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi 90 problems.

First off let me say, I'm new to the site this is my first post. I'm currently driving my second 1995 Audi 90. This is gonna be moderately long so please stay tuned. My first one I bought from a guy who just needed to get rid of it because he had no place to store it. It hadn't been run in over 3 years when I went to look at it. I put a battery in her and got her started and after a few minuets it was idling by itself. Sadly it wouldn't budge. I put it in gear and nothing, so I went out on a limb and offered the guy $200 for it. He said yes I pulled it home and I put some tranny fluid in it and it ran great. I let it sit for about another month then it became a daily driver, I put over 300 miles on it the forst weekend I drove it and that was without doing any type of work to it. I put tranny fluid in it and that was IT. Eventually I totaled it and was given almost $4000 for it from the insurance. With that I bought my current Audi 90 for $800. When I first started driving it, it was really great. Everything worked great, except the heater core is bad in it. However, the day after buying it the dome lights quit working properly, they would never go off unless I turned them off, and the alarm and power locks quit working. If I remove the alarm fuse and put it back in, it will work but only until I start the car then it stops working again, also the horn is REALLY loud when I get the alarm to work, it's not just the small beep. So really I was just wondering what could cause this to happen. Also when I take turns at higher speeds the wheels seem to shake a lot.. could that be a ball joint? Please help and thanks for reading.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

try the trunk wiring harness and the ignition switch for the electrical problems. on the shakes, probably your a-arm bushings, but could be ball joints and/or tierod. i would get the a-arm bushings from 034
Old 01-28-2013, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

I second the motion to replace the ignition switch. You never really know what is going on until you know for sure it is NOT the ignition switch. They just fail internally as the plastic ages. Easy job, about $50 for a new one from the dealer, been posted many times on how to do it. Just search the forum.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

we replaced the ingnition switch in mine as soon as we got it and a few months ago my brother and i were driving home and i didnt even realise it was stuck, we started seeing smoke and i heard a grinding noise. needless to say it was tearing my starter a new bee hole.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks everyone for the reply's so far. I had no idea an ignition switch could cause these problems. Does anyone have a solution for those pesky door panels. Also does anyone make custom fit carpets that make use on the little hooks? Thanks for everything.