Dropping the front suspension - Audi 80 v6 Cab.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dropping the front suspension - Audi 80 v6 Cab.

With winter nearly here, its time to start planing front suspension refurb. for the car. I've only had the car 6 months and for 155,000 miles, the front suspension seems pretty good. (the previous owner passed me lots of historical bills and I can see at least one Mcpherson strut has had new a bearing fitted to the turret. My main reason for the refurb. is the amount of surface rust- and hence i'm thinking of removing most and grit blasting. The brake calipers are not original but by the look of them the caliper cradles and hoses are ! so I will definitely change the hoses. (brake fluid already done).

Assuming I leave the front subframe in place (it cleaned up quite well in-situ) and I place the car on high and sturdy axle stands , it would be great to have any tips on things to do or 'do not do x'.

I'm hoping to get the struts, hub assemblies and wishbones out and cleaned up. Perhaps the challenge will be doing this while leaving the driveshafts in place. I'm hoping the shafts will just slide out of the hubs but perhaps there's more to it than I think. I've already dropped and refurbed the back cross beam, hubs and panhard rod but let's not get too confident (My old dad would say)!

I wonder if i can inject new grease into the existing hub bearing they seem quiet enough

Last edited by 7-up; 10-16-2018 at 11:29 AM.