Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

IL: Oil consumption caused me to trade my RS3

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eran, missed your post previously about high oil consumption with your RS3. Know you were excited when you acquired it. Very sorry for your bad luck with Audi/VW products. I'm not aware of many RS3 oil issues. No issues with mine to date but only just yesterday hit 4000 miles on the odometer and had the car for 9 months. Work travel, etc have kept me off the road. Know your car situation is different than ours in the USA. Enjoy your choice and I wish you more luck with your BMW. Everyone will have different opinions and you know folks here are Audi biased. LOL. Enjoy your new car!!!
Old 03-09-2019, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
Eran, missed your post previously about high oil consumption with your RS3. Know you were excited when you acquired it. Very sorry for your bad luck with Audi/VW products. I'm not aware of many RS3 oil issues. No issues with mine to date but only just yesterday hit 4000 miles on the odometer and had the car for 9 months. Work travel, etc have kept me off the road. Know your car situation is different than ours in the USA. Enjoy your choice and I wish you more luck with your BMW. Everyone will have different opinions and you know folks here are Audi biased. LOL. Enjoy your new car!!!
Thanks a lot!
Old 03-09-2019, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The Truth About Engine Oil Consumption in Modern Cars
10:11
YouTube · AutoExpertTV
Jun 16, 2017

What do you guys think? Had my 2018 S3 4 months now and 3500 miles on it. So far oil always right where it should be when cold. Tiny bit high when hot seems to me.

I was expecting to have this oil consumption problem because of the video above. I will not be terrifically surprised if it starts doing it later.

Last edited by PaperLion; 03-09-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PaperLion
The Truth About Engine Oil Consumption in Modern Cars
10:11
YouTube · AutoExpertTV
Jun 16, 2017

What do you guys think? Had my 2018 S3 4 months now and 3500 miles on it. So far oil always right where it should be when cold. Tiny bit high when hot seems to me.

I was expecting to have this oil consumption problem because of the video above. I will not be terrifically surprised if it starts doing it later.
We have our 2018 S3 for a bit over 1.5 years now with 16K+ miles with zero oil consumption.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

As much as I understand, it has to be with how hard you drive. I drive all my cars hard (VW and Audi consumes lots of oil and MB and Cadillac none).
Maybe I'm wrong. My brother's wife had an A3. She drives really slow. Don't think she's passed the 3K RPMs more than a few times and she needed to fill up some oil (Not close to what IO have experienced). Maybe it also has something to do with the weather. Here it's really hot in the summer.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eran Levi
As much as I understand, it has to be with how hard you drive. I drive all my cars hard (VW and Audi consumes lots of oil and MB and Cadillac none).
Maybe I'm wrong. My brother's wife had an A3. She drives really slow. Don't think she's passed the 3K RPMs more than a few times and she needed to fill up some oil (Not close to what IO have experienced). Maybe it also has something to do with the weather. Here it's really hot in the summer.
Yeah, oil consumption is one of those things where everyone and their brother on the internet has an opinion on "the" way to break in an engine to prevent oil consumption.
i don't have any hard data to back up, but with so many variables, every engine is different.
Commutes are different, driving habits, acceleration, red line usage, shifting, etc etc etc, there's just so many variables.

And as for "driving it hard" to break it in vs "being gentle" - majority of these cars are dynoed by the factory before they leave the factory floor. So they've already red lined it before it even sets foot on the ship. Then you have the random every 10th car or so where they actually drive it out to the test track and do a couple shakedown laps.

So i don't know how much control you have over it. Just think of it as a part of responsible car ownership. You should be regularly checking your oil/fluids anyway. Not a big deal to top it off with a half quart in between oil changes.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Morbo66
Yeah, oil consumption is one of those things where everyone and their brother on the internet has an opinion on "the" way to break in an engine to prevent oil consumption.
i don't have any hard data to back up, but with so many variables, every engine is different.
Commutes are different, driving habits, acceleration, red line usage, shifting, etc etc etc, there's just so many variables.

And as for "driving it hard" to break it in vs "being gentle" - majority of these cars are dynoed by the factory before they leave the factory floor. So they've already red lined it before it even sets foot on the ship. Then you have the random every 10th car or so where they actually drive it out to the test track and do a couple shakedown laps.

So i don't know how much control you have over it. Just think of it as a part of responsible car ownership. You should be regularly checking your oil/fluids anyway. Not a big deal to top it off with a half quart in between oil changes.

You're probably right. I had two VAG cars and had the same experience twice. My brother's wife had an Audi A3 and she filled up half liter of oil between services but she hadn't passed the 3000 RPM mark. I had a polo GTI and an RS3. If someone expects me not to red lined it, I have no idea what he wants from me. I broke in my RS3 properly. Haven't pased the 4000 RPM mark at the first 1000 KMs and hadn't passed the 5500 RPM mark at the second 1000 KMs.

As I mentioned before, I had other sports cars which I have treated he same with no oil consumption.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I definitely wasn't doubting you. It's obviously super common. He's an enormously cocky person but I trust john cadogan. He says it's actually a normal characteristic of certain engine designs.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:13 AM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Speaking of Oil-Consumption on High-Performance Production engines ...

Hello gang,

I'll make this as short as I can with my thoughts on Oil-Consumption.
I go way-way back to the Mid 60's after returning from Vietnam.
I can tell you that in (General) and certainly as with anything there are ALWAYS exceptions.

So here goes ...........

You run the CRAP out of a High-Performance-Production engine and take it to the Red-Line FREQUENTLY ???
My (Opinion) based on my years of owning so many cars/vehicles since back in 1966 they are going to use oil like it or not.

Terry
Old 03-16-2019, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Hello gang,

I'll make this as short as I can with my thoughts on Oil-Consumption.
I go way-way back to the Mid 60's after returning from Vietnam.
I can tell you that in (General) and certainly as with anything there are ALWAYS exceptions.

So here goes ...........

You run the CRAP out of a High-Performance-Production engine and take it to the Red-Line FREQUENTLY ???
My (Opinion) based on my years of owning so many cars/vehicles since back in 1966 they are going to use oil like it or not.

Terry
I had an A45 AMG and a Cadillac ATS-V. Not even one drop of oil was missing. So maybe you are right but you can also be wrong.

Quick Reply: IL: Oil consumption caused me to trade my RS3