Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Noise when I reverse 1st thing in the morning with my A3

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise when I reverse 1st thing in the morning with my A3

It is quite a bad one and only happens after the car has been parked overnight on the driveway well paved.I have taken to Audi to get checked and they told me it is due to metal oxidation and it is common on A3s....This is my 3dr Audi and I never had this issue or heard anything like this before....Basically they said to put up with it....Just bought it from Audi 5 months ago....Much appreciated some feedback...Gino
Old 10-13-2017, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gino Audi
It is quite a bad one and only happens after the car has been parked overnight on the driveway well paved.I have taken to Audi to get checked and they told me it is due to metal oxidation and it is common on A3s....This is my 3dr Audi and I never had this issue or heard anything like this before....Basically they said to put up with it....Just bought it from Audi 5 months ago....Much appreciated some feedback...Gino
What is the noise? If moisture gets on your rotors over night (i.e. dew, water spray from sprinklers, etc.) it will oxidize on your rotors and you will hear an odd noise as you apply your brakes until the brake pads remove off the oxidation off. If your brake rotors look brown/orange instead of their normal silver color when you leave then that is oxidation. I park my car inside my garage so I don't have this issue but when I wash my car my rotors oxidize and therefore I get the noise issues when pulling my car back in to the garage when using the brakes.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nachos Libres
What is the noise? If moisture gets on your rotors over night (i.e. dew, water spray from sprinklers, etc.) it will oxidize on your rotors and you will hear an odd noise as you apply your brakes until the brake pads remove off the oxidation off. If your brake rotors look brown/orange instead of their normal silver color when you leave then that is oxidation. I park my car inside my garage so I don't have this issue but when I wash my car my rotors oxidize and therefore I get the noise issues when pulling my car back in to the garage when using the brakes.
+1 for Nacho Libres' comment -
It's not just the A3, I've had some horrid screeching from my A6 and RS6 if put away wet. In areas where salt spray is an issue, those rotors can get a pretty good rust coat as well.