Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

2011 Audi A3 6 Speed with Transmission whine in 1st

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Audi A3 6 Speed with Transmission whine in 1st

Just drove from Orlando to Atlanta to buy a 2011 CPO A3 manual trans - it's been 2 weeks now - I have a few minor issues with the car but one that is driving me nuts. When I am in first gear accelerating I have a normal experience. The moment I let off the gas and the car slows under load I have a whine coming from the transmission in first gear only. The moment I press in the clutch - poof. It disappears. It's the same noise that one would expect to hear when in reverse (it's not a pleasant sound going forward). The noise increases when the car has been driving for a little bit and warms up! The car was a service loaner and may have been ragged a little but it only has 4K miles![=(] I talked to my adviser and he said they were working on trying to figure it out - referencing that the car has the same setup as a TT. I called my buddy with a TT and he said he has no noises when decelerating in 1st under a load - just engine noise. Someone please help me out I am going nuts!
Old 09-15-2011, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE - Audi compared the vehicle to another 2011 A3 MT6 that a salesman has. Said "No problems!"The salesman then offered me a ride in his car and then let me drive it. He also rode in mine - result...........salesman told the tech definitely similar and his definitely makes a strange noise. I had to escalate to AOA - the district rep is going to be driving the car next week - on the way home - I stopped by AAMCO - the technician heard the noise the minute it happened and said unequivocally he's been servicing transmissions and Audi's for years and it is definitely the transmission and definitely not normal - will update soon - any other feedback please feel free to post it - need some help here