Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Texas Newb...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Texas Newb...

Hello from Abilene, TX. Just found this site and thought I'd register. I've been actively shopping for an '09-12 S5 for a couple months. No big rush. Sold my '08 Z06 'Vette in November and after looking around for a while settled on the Audi to be my next ride.
Middle aged now (54 y/o family practioner) and looking for a very comfortable yet stylish and quick coupe for DD duty with an occasional trip of 3-500 miles thrown in the mix. I've done the sports car thing (911 Porsche, the Vette)... my tolerance for cramped and rough riding cars is less than it used to be. Done the SUV thing (Caddy Escalade, Lexus LX 460)... driving a bus really isn't all it's cracked up to be.
I drove a friend's S5 several months ago and it was like baby bears porrage, "just right". Any tips and advice from the learned crowd would be greatly tolerated!
Old 02-20-2013, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Tolerated?! Appreciated that is...
Old 02-20-2013, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S5 is a great choice. Make sure you get one with the sports rear diff and drive select. It makes for a much more responsive car if you like to drive.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DavidRS4
S5 is a great choice. Make sure you get one with the sports rear diff and drive select. It makes for a much more responsive car if you like to drive.
+1
Old 02-21-2013, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default S5...........great choice

I too had a very nice mix of previous rides, Alfa Romeo, Delorean, a few BMW's, a Z06...............

Never..........Ever.............have I had a car that I love, adore, like my S5 Cab.
It is simply the best. I love everything about it and love driving it.

The Audi S5.............one fine automobile.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Daudia6
You might just want to go with the S8, go a year older with a few more miles. It is much more luxurious.
...Unless, of course, you really want the standard transmission (AKA 6MT), then the S5 is your top choice.

I sold my exceptional D2 S8, which was an unbelievable 10 year old car with no rattles, creaks, or any issues just because it didn't have the third pedal. I loved that car, BUT, it didn't have the third pedal.

I've now got a B8 S5 and haven't looked back or missed that old sweetheart.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If your local dealer has a RS5 for test drive, may I suggest test driving the RS5 as well as the S5?

I know you already test drove the S5.

What about the RS5?

Then, perhaps, you can make a decision on such an expensive purchase.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Marshall Placid
If your local dealer has a RS5 for test drive, may I suggest test driving the RS5 as well as the S5?

I know you already test drove the S5.

What about the RS5?

Then, perhaps, you can make a decision on such an expensive purchase.
Would love to, but... with two sons in private university right now--a 1-3 yr old gently used, low mile S5 is pretty much what I've set my sights on. Orig thought I'd like a 335i coupe--until I drove both cars. Liked the Audi much better. Smoother ride, nicer interior (IMO), more room... and it just looks better.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep! You got it right, the S5 has the right balance in terms of ride, comfort, power, modern technology, and elegance in one. And it can seat 4 people too, and I like taking it for long distance trips. And it gets to 100-120 mph very quickly.

Yep, there are other sports car, but the ride is hard. I had a bimmer, and the ride was hard and acceleration a big jerky. The S5 is much more comfy for long distance drives than the bimmer.

The RS5 will have a harder ride than the S5 as it sits lower and has a stiffer suspension. I agree with you that the S5 is more reasonably priced. Since you're probably not driving on the race track, the S5 is more than adequately powered for daily driving.

Last edited by ayap; 02-21-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DavidRS4
Dumb question, but could ya'll (I am from Texas... ) explain exactly what these are and what the advantages are over the standard setup?

Quick Reply: Texas Newb...