Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Car almost here: Lease or Buy

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Car almost here: Lease or Buy

My car should be here soon

I am trying to decide to lease or finance

I already arranged to get 8% off the car but I am not sure what the money factors and APR are.

Any feedback would be helpful

Last edited by Maybebuyaudi; 02-09-2018 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-09-2018, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

money factor is just APR/2400

When I ran the calculations, for me the .0018MF was a better deal than buying the car because I had a 61% residual. By my estimation, a 61% residual is only attainable by a dealer on these cars, and even then its still really high for a car with 45k miles that is 3yrs old.

In my state private sale is tax disadvantaged so it hurts the value of a purchase.

as with all lease deals YMMV
Old 02-09-2018, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

A lot will depend on what your plans are for the car. If you will end up keeping the car at the end of the lease then buying it usually makes more sense (unless it is a business expense with tax benefits to a lease). Even if you plan on turning the car back at 3 or 4 years (depending on the lease), it will probably come out cheaper to buy, but the difference is the monthly payment will be higher on a buy than a lease with the same money down.

Last edited by heisnuts; 02-09-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am getting the a5 prestige with monsoon paint

8% off with the people republic of California tax will make a purchase price of $52,000

I will probably fill out the financing stuff this weekend and hope I can pick up car before end of month
Old 02-09-2018, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maybebuyaudi
I am getting the a5 prestige with monsoon paint

8% off with the people republic of California tax will make a purchase price of $52,000

I will probably fill out the financing stuff this weekend and hope I can pick up car before end of month
Why would you fill out the finance paperwork before even seeing the car? What if arrives damaged? If you live in Southern CA and go to Mexico occasionally, you'll need Audi Financial Services permission to take their leased car out of the U.S.--each time!
Old 02-09-2018, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Leasing can have its advantages depending on your personal situation. If you have a business for example it's easier to write off a lease. You are also protected against diminished value if you have an accident, because your residual is guaranteed and if you take good care of the car, it may actually be worth more at the end of the lease than the residual, so you can trade it in instead of returning it and cash the equity. In states like CA it also keeps you from having to pay full sales taxes as you only pay sales taxes on the depreciation, so if you are in the habit of changing cars every 2-3 years, leasing will most likely be cheaper just due to the tax savings alone. On the other hand a leased car is not yours. You are just renting it effectively and you have mileage and other restrictions. It's also a good way to try a car. If you don't like after 3 years you can just return it, otherwise you can consider buying it at that time.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GCyr42
Why would you fill out the finance paperwork before even seeing the car? What if arrives damaged? If you live in Southern CA and go to Mexico occasionally, you'll need Audi Financial Services permission to take their leased car out of the U.S.--each time!
should I request an inspection first ?
Old 02-10-2018, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should I request an inspection first ?
No you dont need to inspect a new car. If the car comes in damaged you are under no obligation to purchase it just by filling out finance paperwork. I believe Audi also lowers the residual for prestige models so that may make a difference in lease vs buy. Driving into Mexico would be no different on a leased vs financed car...either way you may have to get permission from the bank depending on the finance company. For your own protection if driving into Mexico you should probably have some sort of insurance that covers you there...that is probably what the bank cares about as well.

Last edited by mpatel1080; 02-10-2018 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was reading on edmunds blogs/forums that the money factor is like .00195 and the residual is like 53% so the payment would be 700 which is almost as much as financing. I will probably finance it since it got approval.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I was reading on edmunds blogs/forums that the money factor is like .00195 and the residual is like 53% so the payment would be 700 which is almost as much as financing. I will probably finance it since it got approval.

Never shop based on monthly payments. Biggest mistake you can make when buying a car. Look at total cost of ownership. Negotiate the price of the car, then the finance terms or pay cash and choose what makes sense for your situation.

Quick Reply: Car almost here: Lease or Buy