Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2019 Audi Order Guide

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 11:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
appreciate the info

I have some familiarity on the production side of things, on a different scale though, so any insight is always cool to learn. These cars are already built in many instances. I can look at see what's at the factory being built now, what's in transit to the US, what is already here at port etc. Orders satarted going in during the spring, but had wide open dates until they were frozen until (in most cases it looks like they had till mid September to change orders). But then they were assigned production dates soon thereafter. There are a little over 2000 A5/S5's in transit from the factory to the states, (excluding RS5 sportbacks). But as far as when those cars will be in transit to a dealer is what I was referring to. Audi will absolutely hold cars at port, even if those cars are otherwise ready to be sent. This is why you're also seeing 18's incentivized now, where they weren't at other points of the year (every single model save for RS's has Audi $$ available even beyond loyalty rebates).
They are not discounting these 2018s anymore than the usual discount one could get by with a some bargaining. It is hard enough to even locate one! Yea yea I know...geography! I managed to get 9.5% off of a Prestige but that includes the finance $1000 and Bonus cash $750. So it is not really 9.5% due to my "negotiation skills". It is now easy to get deals like mine. Just for fun I sent out to many dealers and I did get around 9% discount off MSRP. Honestly I wouldn't count the Audi finance as anything off since they jack up the rate as high as 5.99% without evening checking my credit history! If the finance is 0% then yes it would be considered a good true $1000 off. I wanted to back out but I am too deep into purchasing from this dealership. They transported the car from Ohio to NJ. I will be doing the transaction this Saturday. I will take some pictures and post them up to share my joy with you guys.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:20 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by LuckyFrank
They are not discounting these 2018s anymore than the usual discount one could get by with a some bargaining. It is hard enough to even locate one! Yea yea I know...geography! I managed to get 9.5% off of a Prestige but that includes the finance $1000 and Bonus cash $750. So it is not really 9.5% due to my "negotiation skills". It is now easy to get deals like mine. Just for fun I sent out to many dealers and I did get around 9% discount off MSRP. Honestly I wouldn't count the Audi finance as anything off since they jack up the rate as high as 5.99% without evening checking my credit history! If the finance is 0% then yes it would be considered a good true $1000 off. I wanted to back out but I am too deep into purchasing from this dealership. They transported the car from Ohio to NJ. I will be doing the transaction this Saturday. I will take some pictures and post them up to share my joy with you guys.

As to the financing — refinance after you’ve had the car a month or two, with a more reasonable rate. When I bought my S5 and Audi offered me a 5.99% rate I politely laughed in the finance manager. With a credit score of over 830, I was able to get a 3.09% rate on a 48 month loan. As this is my first Audi, there was no “Loyalty” money for me.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

pretty easy to tell if the incentive outweighs the interest rate increase - just run the calculations - all depends on how much down, how long you plan to amortize for, etc.

That, and the fact that interest rates have steadily risen all year. Some local credit unions still have very attractive rates, and yes, Audi is always higher than a conventional bank, always has been, always will be. But the bank isn't handing you $2250, and audi is, and it takes a pretty big swing in interest on a "typical" 20% downpayment 60 month term loan, to yield that sort of cash differential. 9.5% and they didn't have the car in inventory is exceptionally strong. Many dealers would not have even offered to secure a car that far away....and will only sell what is in their inventory (I deal with clients every day who tell me which dealers say this to them)
Old 11-14-2018, 07:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1

As to the financing — refinance after you’ve had the car a month or two, with a more reasonable rate. When I bought my S5 and Audi offered me a 5.99% rate I politely laughed in the finance manager. With a credit score of over 830, I was able to get a 3.09% rate on a 48 month loan. As this is my first Audi, there was no “Loyalty” money for me.
Thanks for your suggestion. To be honest, I was more upset about the way the $1000 off if finance through Audi was being sold as some kind of a promotion lol! And in my case, part of the negotiation because I asked for a certain percentage off MSRP. Somehow the dealer slipped this $1000 in as part of the 9.5%. But since this is a company offered payment bonus it shouldn't be part of the bargaining! I was deceived. But I am still going through it because I am tired by now! I am also paying it off after a year or so. But just in case I couldn't, that's why the high rate matters!
Old 11-14-2018, 07:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

pretty easy to tell if the incentive outweighs the interest rate increase - just run the calculations - all depends on how much down, how long you plan to amortize for, etc.

That, and the fact that interest rates have steadily risen all year. Some local credit unions still have very attractive rates, and yes, Audi is always higher than a conventional bank, always has been, always will be. But the bank isn't handing you $2250, and audi is, and it takes a pretty big swing in interest on a "typical" 20% downpayment 60 month term loan, to yield that sort of cash differential. 9.5% and they didn't have the car in inventory is exceptionally strong. Many dealers would not have even offered to secure a car that far away....and will only sell what is in their inventory (I deal with clients every day who tell me which dealers say this to them)
Thanks. I totally agreed with you. You put things into perspective! I think that the auto dealers had really got the business end down to a science. My dealer told me even if he didn't have the car I wanted, he could locate it within the Audi network and basically his dealership can swap cars with any of the dealerships providing that the distance is reasonable! And the cost of all these work is passed onto the customer of course! Just that you wouldn't hear about it because we would easily counter it by saying "it's the cost of doing business since this dealer is small or does not have resources to obtain many variety of cars! So they add the transportation cost in other ways...like when I said there was a $750 bonus cash for any new cars...he then said again it was part of the 9.5% off, which he didn't mention before!!
Old 11-14-2018, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Has anyone received updates that the 2019 A5/S5 have been released from the port yet?
Thanks.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks. I totally agreed with you. You put things into perspective! I think that the auto dealers had really got the business end down to a science. My dealer told me even if he didn't have the car I wanted, he could locate it within the Audi network and basically his dealership can swap cars with any of the dealerships providing that the distance is reasonable! And the cost of all these work is passed onto the customer of course! Just that you wouldn't hear about it because we would easily counter it by saying "it's the cost of doing business since this dealer is small or does not have resources to obtain many variety of cars! So they add the transportation cost in other ways...like when I said there was a $750 bonus cash for any new cars...he then said again it was part of the 9.5% off, which he didn't mention before!!
That is all a business decision by a dealer

Transport costs can get expensive, depending on where the car is. At my location, I do trades ALL the time. A lot of dealers won't do them at all because it can be a royal PIA. How we do it is as follows. If it's within a reasonable distance (and with the client's permission since it will be their car), I will pick it up, and bring it here (either personally, like I did last week on a Q8), or we have a person on staff who does it for us too. We don't charge the client. If it's further away, and requires transportation via flatbed, then depending on the cost, it can sometimes be built into the deal, split with a client, or, the client pays the cost in addition to the negotiated price of the car. Example - I had a client who wanted a "new" Q5 TDI a few months ago. Car was about 500 miles away - we split the transport costs (thankfully it was only 1 way, as we bought their car outright, and they took a future allocation spot, so no return transport costs involved).

In another case last year, a client wanted a Q7, in a discontinued color. Their local dealers told them the vehicle didn't exist because it was no longer a production color (Ink Blue). I found it for her, 1600 miles away. Ultimately, they decided the color was important enough to them that it was worth the extra cost. This dealer took one of my inventory Q7's as a trade, so we had transport costs there, and transport costs for the Ink Blue one back to us - 3200 miles round trip. The client paid this as part of the deal. Ended up being around $1800 as I recall by the time it was all said and done. But they got what they had been told was not gettable, and didn't have to compromise on a single thing. We also discounted the vehicle too.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:53 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

@ SCarGuy — Way Back In 1983 I wanted a particular Toyota Supra (color and equipment) and after working with the sales manager for 4 months he located the exact car in MD. The dealers came to an agreement and my dealer asked if I wanted to drive the “trade car” to the MD and drive my Supra back. Rather than letting their lot guy (potentially) thrash on my new Supra, I jumped at the opportunity!

I carried a sealed envelope with all the paperwork down and another from the MD dealer back with me. I had the peace of mind that I put the first 200 miles on my Supra. When I sold it, it had 250,000 of my miles (and only my miles) on it.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Nikon1
@ SCarGuy — Way Back In 1983 I wanted a particular Toyota Supra (color and equipment) and after working with the sales manager for 4 months he located the exact car in MD. The dealers came to an agreement and my dealer asked if I wanted to drive the “trade car” to the MD and drive my Supra back. Rather than letting their lot guy (potentially) thrash on my new Supra, I jumped at the opportunity!

I carried a sealed envelope with all the paperwork down and another from the MD dealer back with me. I had the peace of mind that I put the first 200 miles on my Supra. When I sold it, it had 250,000 of my miles (and only my miles) on it.
wow

liability wise, that would never get done now, but I can definitely appreciate wanting to ensure it was well taken care of.

Ironically, my first car was a Celica GTS..notchback, but had the similar flares to what those Supra's had
Old 12-04-2018, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

wow

liability wise, that would never get done now, but I can definitely appreciate wanting to ensure it was well taken care of.

Ironically, my first car was a Celica GTS..notchback, but had the similar flares to what those Supra's had
Great car, my GTS was AWD and Turbo, fun car until I hit a Coyote going 75mph and totalled it.

Quick Reply: 2019 Audi Order Guide