Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Winter tire packages are up on Tire Rack for 2018 A5/S5

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The RandomOne
I have ordered from there several time and for Winter setup, they will ship you the tires mounted, inflated, and balanced directly to your door. All you need to do it jack up your car and swap them out or take them to your favorite local shop to have them swapped.
Can any reasonably handy person swap out their tires using the tools included with the car? Or would you recommend taking it to the shop? I've put on spare tires before, but it was always temporary, and also on a more "basic" vehicle.

Regarding balancing, I had always assumed that balancing needed to be done once the wheels were on the car, and then also it had to be done each time you did a tire rotation.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by JRuby2004
Can any reasonably handy person swap out their tires using the tools included with the car? Or would you recommend taking it to the shop? I've put on spare tires before, but it was always temporary, and also on a more "basic" vehicle.

Regarding balancing, I had always assumed that balancing needed to be done once the wheels were on the car, and then also it had to be done each time you did a tire rotation.
Easy...Jack and torque wrench are all that is required. Wheels are balanced when tires are replaced and should never need to be re-balanced for the life of the tire. Modern balance machines simulate the weight of the car on the wheel/tire during the balancing.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

No. Balancing is done prior to the tires and wheels being mounted on the car. The tires are mounted on the wheels and then they're put on a balancing machine and spun. The machine then tells the tech where to put the weights. Unless you're experiencing vibrations tires only need to be balanced once before they're first put on the car.

Yeah, as long as you have a jack, stand, and torque wrench you can do it. It doesn't matter if it's a Honda Civic or a Rolls Royce Phantom, taking wheels off and putting on new ones is essentially the the same.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by QballDS
Odd, the wheel size tirerack recommends for 17in winters is 235/50/17. The package pricing I got from my dealership in Toronto has the 17s as 225/50/17.

​​​​​​Also, there are way more tire options available in the 225 size and tirerack only has one in the 235 size.

​​​​​​I was considering going with 18 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s, but they have Michelin Alpin A4 ZPs in 17. Anyone know anything about the ZPs?
Out of curiosity what did your dealership quote you?

I've been going to Automotive Import Market. The're right around Steeles and Victoria Park. They supply most of the dealerships in Toronto. I got my winter tires setup from them for less than half of what the dealer was quoting.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
No. Balancing is done prior to the tires and wheels being mounted on the car. The tires are mounted on the wheels and then they're put on a balancing machine and spun. The machine then tells the tech where to put the weights. Unless you're experiencing vibrations tires only need to be balanced once before they're first put on the car.

Yeah, as long as you have a jack, stand, and torque wrench you can do it. It doesn't matter if it's a Honda Civic or a Rolls Royce Phantom, taking wheels off and putting on new ones is essentially the the same.
Wow, this is somewhat mind blowing. I've been thinking so much on how to get the tires from house to shop, if I should store them there, ROI on dedicated sets, etc, but if I can just do them myself, then that really simplifies a bunch of stuff.

I haven't checked, but I'm assuming the wrench that comes with the car isn't a proper torque wrench? If so, I'll need to buy one. And I could use the jack that is included, though a hydraulic jack could be a worthwhile investment.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Wow, this is somewhat mind blowing. I've been thinking so much on how to get the tires from house to shop, if I should store them there, ROI on dedicated sets, etc, but if I can just do them myself, then that really simplifies a bunch of stuff.

I haven't checked, but I'm assuming the wrench that comes with the car isn't a proper torque wrench? If so, I'll need to buy one. And I could use the jack that is included, though a hydraulic jack could be a worthwhile investment.
Assuming the tires are mounted on the wheels and balanced, yeah you could do it yourself.

The wrench that comes with the car isn't a torque wrench; you'll need to buy one. You may also want to get a good tire pressure gauge and compressor as well as a tube of anti-seize lube to put on the bolts/studs before you put the wheel nuts on (it makes it a lot easier to take them off at the end of winter). Put them on by hand and then do the final tightening with the torque wrench.

I suggested a stand because working on your car while it's up on just a jack isn't "best practices". Jacks have been known to occasionally fail and that makes for an expensive repair and sometimes horrific injuries. Just put a piece of wood down first and then the jack and stand on top of the wood.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming the tires are mounted on the wheels and balanced, yeah you could do it yourself.

I suggested a stand because working on your car while it's up on just a jack isn't "best practices". Jacks have been known to occasionally fail and that makes for an expensive repair and sometimes horrific injuries. Just put a piece of wood down first and then the jack and stand on top of the wood.
Tips:
1. Read the owners manual about how to use the included jack, but most importantly WHERE to place the jack mounts.

2. Do not wait to late in the year to change the wheels, It sucks when it is 32F outside and your garage only gets to 42F. Fingers start to get numb :-)

3. Label the wheels that you take off and where on the car it came from. LF, RF, LR, RR That way you can either put them back in the spring or rotate them correctly.

4. Most winter tires have a rotational direction. Look at the tires for an arrow and make sure it is going to roll the correct way.

5. Store your good rims and summer tires carefully or get a Tire Tote with felt inserts. https://www.tirerack.com/accessories...y=Tire+Storage

6. If you buy a hydraulic jack or use stands, make sure you buy one that can lift the car high enough. I have seen many people buy a cheap jack and find out that it just does not lift the car high enough and then they use unsafe methods to try and block the jack.

@JohnEnglish probably uses a 2x6 or 2x8 solid wood block and not redneck blocking seen here.

7. If you have a Harbor Freight around you, then you can pick up a inexpensive jack and stands that will work well.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

@JohnEnglish probably uses a 2x6 or 2x8 solid wood block and not redneck blocking seen here.
Haha, yeah, not what I had in mind. Though there seems to be one of these guys on every street...
Old 09-18-2017, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

lol yes
Old 09-18-2017, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Out of curiosity what did your dealership quote you?

I've been going to Automotive Import Market. The're right around Steeles and Victoria Park. They supply most of the dealerships in Toronto. I got my winter tires setup from them for less than half of what the dealer was quoting.
1999 for 17in setup, 2999 for 18in setup. Plus tax and installation. $150 to store the tires for the season.

Way too expensive in my book. I can get a setup from Simply Tire with 18in VMR rims and Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s for roughly $1000 cheaper.

Quick Reply: Winter tire packages are up on Tire Rack for 2018 A5/S5